I was sitting in a hospital bed, eating breakfast, and marveling over my tiny sleeping daughter. Here's the story, if you haven't heard it:
The day before Joanna was born was Ash Wednesday, and Matt and I were both feeling pretty sick with colds. I was having major back pain and it took all my effort just to walk. We both came home early from work and went to bed early. I woke up at about 12:30am to my water breaking. I had worried up to that point that I might not know it was happening. There was no mistaking that situation! I walked to the bathroom, quietly calling Matt to wake up. I had to work up to a hearty yell before he stirred. (I think he had taken some Nyquil.) I called my mom, we gathered our stuff, and we headed to the hospital. I was trying to time contractions on the way but they were pretty gradual at that point. We were able to park pretty close to the emergency entrance and had no trouble finding where we were supposed to be. The lady at the desk gave Matt a visitor pass and found an orderly and a wheelchair for me. We headed up to labor and delivery, where a plethora of nurses stood waiting, just for me. :) I was weighed, taken into a delivery room and given a gown to put on. My nurse (Shannon, I think) checked, and found I was dialated to 6cm. Joanna was not waiting around, I tell you. My next memories are not exactly timeline events, just bits and pieces of labor and delivery. I had 3 nurses (no kidding) all to myself for most of this. It was great. Matt got pretty woozy and had to sit down and drink juice a couple of times. I threw up during labor -- just once, and felt tons better. I labored some on my hands and knees which felt good. The pressure of the band they put around my belly to hold the monitor on actually felt good. I was pouring sweat everywhere. I even sweated my first IV out; they graciously gave me another. I couldn't figure out how to turn the TV off, so it ended up muted on a spanish channel. I kid you not, the doctor on call watched this while I was pushing. I could tell when I was actually making progress by whether she was looking at the TV. Pushing is hard. It took a while before I kind of figured it out. The first few tries I don't think my body was quite ready to push. When it got ready, pushing got easier. I did all of this drug-free, which I totally recommend. When Joanna was born (3:38am), I didn't realize it until my nurse got my attention and made me look down. (I kind of out of it, if you can imagine.) She was pretty goopy, but really pretty! We gave her her name, Joanna Rose Pence. I know I got to hold her for a bit, and they took her and weighed her and cleaned her up a little. I was shaking and shivering while the doctor stitched me up. Then I got to hold Joanna again, I think, before they took her for her bath and stuff. Matt, camera in hand, went with her. Matt probably remembers more of these kinds of details. I remember being really hungry afterward but having to wait for a while for breakfast. We stayed in the labor room all day because all the recovery rooms were full. I remember having visitors, which was nice. I spent the next couple of days really sore, very hungry, and in kind-of a daze. I actually enjoyed being in the hospital for those couple of days; everything was right there, and I could ask all kinds of questions. I also really enjoyed getting home. It was like a whole different place with Joanna. I can hardly remember my life before, and I don't particularly want to.
Here are some very early, never before blogged, pictures of Joanna. The first few are kind of, um, gory. Sorry! The first one is her 5th picture ever taken.





The day before Joanna was born was Ash Wednesday, and Matt and I were both feeling pretty sick with colds. I was having major back pain and it took all my effort just to walk. We both came home early from work and went to bed early. I woke up at about 12:30am to my water breaking. I had worried up to that point that I might not know it was happening. There was no mistaking that situation! I walked to the bathroom, quietly calling Matt to wake up. I had to work up to a hearty yell before he stirred. (I think he had taken some Nyquil.) I called my mom, we gathered our stuff, and we headed to the hospital. I was trying to time contractions on the way but they were pretty gradual at that point. We were able to park pretty close to the emergency entrance and had no trouble finding where we were supposed to be. The lady at the desk gave Matt a visitor pass and found an orderly and a wheelchair for me. We headed up to labor and delivery, where a plethora of nurses stood waiting, just for me. :) I was weighed, taken into a delivery room and given a gown to put on. My nurse (Shannon, I think) checked, and found I was dialated to 6cm. Joanna was not waiting around, I tell you. My next memories are not exactly timeline events, just bits and pieces of labor and delivery. I had 3 nurses (no kidding) all to myself for most of this. It was great. Matt got pretty woozy and had to sit down and drink juice a couple of times. I threw up during labor -- just once, and felt tons better. I labored some on my hands and knees which felt good. The pressure of the band they put around my belly to hold the monitor on actually felt good. I was pouring sweat everywhere. I even sweated my first IV out; they graciously gave me another. I couldn't figure out how to turn the TV off, so it ended up muted on a spanish channel. I kid you not, the doctor on call watched this while I was pushing. I could tell when I was actually making progress by whether she was looking at the TV. Pushing is hard. It took a while before I kind of figured it out. The first few tries I don't think my body was quite ready to push. When it got ready, pushing got easier. I did all of this drug-free, which I totally recommend. When Joanna was born (3:38am), I didn't realize it until my nurse got my attention and made me look down. (I kind of out of it, if you can imagine.) She was pretty goopy, but really pretty! We gave her her name, Joanna Rose Pence. I know I got to hold her for a bit, and they took her and weighed her and cleaned her up a little. I was shaking and shivering while the doctor stitched me up. Then I got to hold Joanna again, I think, before they took her for her bath and stuff. Matt, camera in hand, went with her. Matt probably remembers more of these kinds of details. I remember being really hungry afterward but having to wait for a while for breakfast. We stayed in the labor room all day because all the recovery rooms were full. I remember having visitors, which was nice. I spent the next couple of days really sore, very hungry, and in kind-of a daze. I actually enjoyed being in the hospital for those couple of days; everything was right there, and I could ask all kinds of questions. I also really enjoyed getting home. It was like a whole different place with Joanna. I can hardly remember my life before, and I don't particularly want to.
Here are some very early, never before blogged, pictures of Joanna. The first few are kind of, um, gory. Sorry! The first one is her 5th picture ever taken.
Happy Birthday Joanna!
What a beautiful little pink baby!!! Happy birthday Joanna I love you!!! -Aunt Kathryn
ReplyDelete