Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Excitement!

Our friends Lisa and Tony have been expecting another baby girl, and she got here this morning! Emma Ruth was born at 6:07am weighing 6lb 6oz and measuring 20in long. The plan was for us to watch their daughter Anna while they go do the baby thing, so I got a call this morning at 2:48am. My immediate response when the phone rings while I am asleep is to reach over and silence it. I looked at it (still dreaming a little) and figured out I should probably answer it. By the time that message got to my hand, it had gone to voicemail. So then a spent a minute trying to figure out how to listen to voicemails in my sleep stupor. Luckily Lisa called right back and said "Hey Jessica, my water's breaking..." I hopped in the car to gather up Anna and her things, leaving Matt to set up the port-a-crib. When I got there (they live really close by) Lisa seemed to be doing great. She was gathering a few things together while Tony rushed around getting Anna's clothes, shoes, diapers... Miss Emma was about 4 weeks early (!) so they weren't ready for this early morning surprise (are we really ever, though?). I grabbed Anna and her bag and headed back to my house. After a few minutes of snuggling, Anna was ready to lay back down for the night. She is so sweet! And she went right down. I, however, could not sleep. I think I was hyped up on adrenaline. Luckily the girls slept until about 7:30ish, so I did get some rest. I had planned to take Joanna with me to staff calendering over at one of our staff members houses this morning, as I still needed to gather my bulletin information for the week. I decided I would go ahead and take both girls. We actually managed to get dressed, eat breakfast, and make it to the meeting at about 8:30. Wow. Hopefully we weren't too much of a distraction. Most of the staff is pretty easy-going! I just stayed long enough to get my information from everybody before we headed home about 10:30. The girls were sooooooo good, especially Anna. Joanna's still a little rotten. (Yes, that's right!) We had such a busy weekend and she just got over a cold that she spent all of yesterday glued to my hip (when she wasn't trying to actually burrow into me.) Today is much better; I think Joanna likes the distraction. I will blog more about our fabulous weekend and other exciting things later. For now, both girls are asleep (!!!), so I'm going to have lunch and SIT DOWN!
Oh, and I keep forgetting to post this, but Joanna is officially weaned. I didn't know it at the time, but Saturday, March 29th at 4:00am was the last time she nursed. We had some rough patches a couple of days after she quit, but mostly things have gone smoothly. I can really tell she's tired when she wants to nurse. Most of the time she's happy drinking her Milk of a Cow, and she's drinking better from her cups all the time. I definitely miss nursing, I've been tempted to forget we quit a couple of times, but I know this transition is good for us. We're enjoying finding other ways to bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment