Saturday, November 15, 2008

More on 32 weeks and the Nutcracker Market!

So looking at these most recent pictures of myself, I can really see that I've put on some weight. My face looks fuller, I think. Anyway so at my appt Friday morning, it was discovered that I had gained 7 POUNDS in two weeks!!! Oops. My doctor walked in, looked at my chart, and her jaw nearly fell off her face. I immediately said "It wasn't me, I think it's these heavy pants!" She laughed, which is good -- I didn't feel like I was in so much trouble that way. :)
I had been doing really well, but I think I fell off the wagon with all the Halloween candy. I'm a chocolate JUNKIE! I'm not too worried, and I know it will all even out in the end.
Preggo shot: 32 weeks. This is a totally random shot, but just too cute not to post: Joanna's turkey handprint is above her head just to the right.
After my doctor's appointment, Mom, Joanna, and I headed into Houston for the Nutcracker Market. If you've never been, picture the Reliant Center (or a really huge room) full of hundreds of vendors selling all kinds of fabulous things. Now we didn't actually have any money to spend, and I'm totally finished Christmas shopping, but neither Mom or I have been, and we keep meaning to go. It was Thursday-Saturday, and it was really neat. Things that are annoying about it: It costs 8 bucks to park and you have to park far away and ride a tram; it costs $11 just to get in; you can't bring a stroller in; all the food is priced like "event" food -- you know, $8 for a potato, etc. So, before you even get to shop, you've already spent $25+. Silly. Things that are very cool about it: The food is very yummy; there's great music playing; you can find anything you're looking for; it's fun to shop; you get to ride a tram. Things I will do differently if I get to go again next year: I will leave sweet Joanna (and her sister!) at home with Daddy or Grandma or something; I'll carry a backpack instead of a handbag; I'll investigate parking somewhere else and riding the train. Unfortunately, Joanna didn't have huge amounts of fun -- it was very crowded and a bit difficult for her to walk without getting tripped over. Also unfortunately I am 8 months pregnant and the day was very hard on my back.
Here's a bit of our day:
We decided to be green and ride a bike cab from our car to the Market. It was fun! This is the back of our driver -- he's pedaling with his very strong legs.
Joanna in Gran's lap, enjoying the ride and the wind in her face.
Walking in -- Joanna was very glad to carry around the shopping bag -- what a big girl!
We saw some very cute tents and teepees; Joanna had to check one out.
We ate yummy baked potatoes for lunch, ran into gobs of people we know, and tried to shop as fast as we could!
Joanna tuckered out after lunch. I LOVE carrying my babies around, but I will say that my back was screaming in agony at the end of this day.
So, did I buy anything? Yup. But I was pretty good. I found a giraffe charm for my charm bracelet, which I'd been looking for -- yea! I also got a nap mat for Joanna. Yes, I know she already has a nap mat. I couldn't help myself. This one is one I would've gotten her if I'd found it before I needed it. It's very cushy and it has a blanket and pillow and it rolls up and has a carrying strap. And it was a good price. So now Joanna has two nap mats. (But you know, we're going to have two in nap mats before too long.)
Joanna woke up and was kind of a basket case so we abandoned our mission of seeing everything to come home. Plus, I was seriously starting to feel the burn of being on my feet and holding a 25lb toddler.
We rode the tram back to our car. That was very fun, too. She's not actually asleep -- just trying it out. Isn't she so cute!!
I haven't taken a proper picture yet, but if you look in the above pic, you can see the cord and a tiny corner of OUR NEW VACUUM!! We finally broke down and bought one -- we've really been needing to. It's a Kenmore, and it was on sale, and it comes recommended by friends who also have it. I already like it a lot -- it's very easy to push and seems to clean well. It's not super loud (although it will still take some time for Miss Joanna to get used to it). My standard vacuuming posture is either Matt holds Joanna while I vacuum or Joanna rides in sling while I vacuum. We're making progress, though. Anyway, it picks up our hard floors really well, which is important since that's what we have a lot of.
So, if any of our bosses are reading this, we just bought a vacuum and a new car -- we need a raise!!
I mentioned in my last post that I had a really rough night Friday night -- here's the scoop. I'm sure it was a combination of things that led to my pretty intense pain -- I almost called the doctor in the middle of the night. I know I've posted that I'm having Braxton Hicks contractions. I've been having them for 6 or 7 weeks now. Mostly they're annoying, but not really painful. For me, it's a tightening of my whole belly (imagine baby becomes bowling ball). If I'm sitting down, it's not bad -- not even that noticeable. If I'm standing though, it makes it hard to walk, I usually need to visit the ladies' room pronto, and I have a little back pain/tightening that accompanies it. Some days I'll go nearly the whole day without them being a problem; other days I feel like they're happening constantly, especially in the afternoon/evening. So yesterday was admittedly rough day physically for me, plus I think I did something that evening that I shouldn't have. So about 10:30pm, my regular ol' Braxton Hicks were happening, but now they were accompanied by intense lower back pain -- the pain came and went with the contractions. It was reminiscent of labor, which is why I almost called the doctor. IT WAS AWFUL! I managed to sleep a little on and off for a few hours, but come about 1:30ish, I was up and couldn't sleep or get comfortable. I decided about 2:15 to get away from my deeply sleeping husband whom I was jealous of and go into the living room. I had a snack and watched a few things in my DVR. Slowly, gradually, the back pain got better, and after an old episode of Designing Women where the Sugarbakers buy a van, I got sleepy. Finally about 4am I fell asleep on the couch. Matt woke up about 4:30, and sent me to my room. I said, "I need a really huge favor -- let me sleep 'till 8?" So he closed the bedroom door (what a treat!), and was on Joanna duty when she woke up a little after 7:00. I was SO GLAD I was able to go back to sleep this morning. I woke up 7:30 or 8:00 and felt fine -- no more crazy back cramps. So I've vowed to be more careful. I really really do not want to go into preterm labor. I want to give Baby Sister the chance to grow as much as possible. And I have lots of "getting ready" stuff I'm not planning to do until next weekend! And she doesn't have a name!!

1 comment:

  1. You're insane...officially! Stop carrying around your big child...isn't one to carry all the time enough??? I guess you had fun, AND hopefully learned your lesson!! Take care!

    ReplyDelete