Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Ah, that elusive friend...sleep

Well, Joanna's "sleep training" has officially begun. I know I've chatted with some of you about this. Basically I'm a worrier and that's why we didn't start this a week or so ago. I worried she was too young; I worried she would cry ALL night long; I worried she was having to learn too many things at once (sleeping on her own, sleeping in her crib, not nursing all night). Did my worrying help? Um, no. So when nothing else was working at all, Matt and I decided Joanna needed to be aquainted with her crib, and learn to self-soothe. I know we're not to the end of this transition time yet, but I'm amazed at how well she did the first night. I was convinced she would cry for as long as I would let her, but given a little time, the child CAN self-soothe. Who knew? Not us; we never let her try! I think nighttime is easier, even though we're tired and want to sleep too, because we're at home not bothering anyone. Naps are very hard for us because we're at work, and even though my office is pretty secluded, I feel as though I'm being watched (or overheard). Even so, I am feeling really positive about the experience thus far.

Hopefully my next post will not start out "False alarm... she won't stop crying...". Until then, keep this sad little baby girl (and her crazy parents!) in your thoughts and prayers as we attempt to do what's best for Miss Joanna.

2 comments:

  1. All I can say . . . stay consistent because it does get better! Any type of transition regarding sleeping is tough - but so worth it in the end. GOOD LUCK! It already sounds like you are off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for a good night's sleep! Jacob slept with us until around 20 months but I night-weaned him by around 9 months, the main thing is to keep trying until you find what works, not just what works externally but also internally in your heart. Also don't compare with formula babies - formula takes longer to digest and keeps the tummy fuller longer than breastmilk so as long as you are nursing only - I wouldn't expect much more than 5 hours at a stretch for some time now. It seems like the night's last forever but trust me, a time will come when you miss those nighttime snuggles and have to have another baby! Ha Ha!

    ReplyDelete