Last Wednesday we came home from dinner and choir to a very warm house and a not functioning outside A/C unit. Boo. We survived the night, but I slept very badly (I’m not so good with hot). I thought we would just stick around and wait for the A/C guy to come in the morning, but I kinda had a breakdown so we went to my mom’s to wait. Did I mention I don’t do well with hot? Also, this little guy woke up with a high (for him) fever and feeling yucky.
I hate it when they’re sick, I really do. But I do love my snuggles.
We ended up at my mom’s for the whole morning, and even though we brought school work, I was pretty busy holding Michael so we didn’t get much done. :)
At one point Grandpa David took the big kids to a little pond near by to feed the fish.
Michael did this most of the day. He slept on me or Gran, then he nursed, then he slept some more. It was like having a newborn again. :)
I think it was a little after noon that our unit got patched up at home, so we left Gran’s after our house had a chance to get down to 76 or so.
In fact, with the fan on, I had to put a little blanket over naked Michael while we snuggled.
Joanna was A LOT of help with Thomas for the few hours until Matt got home. I was stuck.
By bed time Michael’s temp seemed to be lower and by the next morning he was back to normal – weird snuggly fever virus.
The next afternoon (this is Friday now), James put himself to bed. I think that’s the universal signal for “I don’t feel good.” I had to move him to put Thomas down for nap, and so I felt that he was super warm.
He had the same symptoms as Michael – fever, sleepy, feeling yucky, and just wanted to be held by the momma.
I gave him some Tylenol, he had a nap on me, then he woke up like a new man. He ate dinner and played before feeling crummy again and then throwing up everything he’d eaten all day. He just threw up the one time, but it earned him a spot on our bedroom floor for the night. Thankfully we all slept well, and the next day was Saturday!!
He seemed totally fine but later in the day complained of his mouth hurting. He has a buddy who got strep this past week and described his throat hurting the same way, so I checked. I used my handy iPod flashlight to see some nasty tonsils. Ew. The RediClinic was already closed for the evening and thankfully James felt better after some Tylenol, so we waited until the morning to take him in. I was already planning for us to miss church, since I really didn’t want to pass along anything or receive anything new, thankyouverymuch! Our friendly neighborhood PA did a strep test – positive! – and sent us home with a lollipop and a prescription. Since then James has been feeling great and playing as usual. His throat is starting to look a little better.
So, in the last month, I’ve had thrush twice and been on Diflucan for a total of four weeks and Nystatin cream for some of that time. The babies never got it but they were treated with Nystatin for part of that time just in case. (I don’t want it again!!!) Natalie got swimmer’s ear, which I didn’t pay attention to right away so she’s finishing up drops for that. Michael had a double ear infection the week before his fever virus and we just finished antibiotics for that. James is on antibiotics for the strep. Joanna is the only who has so far escaped taking any kinds of meds. :) We’re ALL taking probiotics. And of course I’ve developed a great charting system for remembering all of these meds! Goodness fall!
So I guess I’m thankful for the chance to build up all of our immune systems, but I wouldn’t mind a break!
Thankfully I felt up for getting stuff done this weekend and spent quite some time just getting the house in order. I had piles of things in our bedroom headed out or coming in or that just needed to be put away, and it all got done. I managed to keep up with my to-do list today, and it just feels fabulous. I don’t feel like I’m drowning like I have most of September. Now, my bathroom is gross, the kids closets need a few cold-weather things thrown in, my pantry and kitchen need some serious organization, and I’m not sure my stove will ever be clean again, not to mention the patch of floor under the babies high chairs. :) BUT… I’m treading water. Hallelujah!!
And now, I’m going to sit on the couch with my husband, eat some cookies, watch some television, and then hopefully go to bed early. Momma needs her sleep!
No comments:
Post a Comment