The end of this post has actual pics from our trip to the pediatrician as well as the babies’ stats. But first I though I’d post a few recent pictures I’ve been collecting as well as some things about the boys as I think about them.
When I was taking pictures of Joanna opening her birthday presents, I had these guys in my lap, and the pretty light was just streaming in through the window beside us.
Thomas above; Michael below
The boys’ naps have been less than stellar lately. They are grouchy much of the time, and it’s been rough taking care of them and getting anything else accomplished. Anyway, sometimes when one of them has trouble going to sleep and the other one is already out, I take the crying one to my bedroom and either put him in a pack-and-play or in a swing to take his nap. (Usually this results in him going to sleep and the other one waking up right away. Not my favorite.) Anyway, this is Mr. Michael one day after a swing nap. I got lots of sweet shots of him as he was snoozing away!
Sometimes, but not often, they will take a snuggle nap on me. I don’t remember the exact circumstances here, but my guess is that Thomas had gone to bed for the night and Michael was having some trouble. I most likely nursed him, and he crashed on me. :)
The weather is ALL OVER THE PLACE lately, so they’re getting to wear all seasons of clothes from their drawers. They looked so handsome in these little matching polo onesies and plaid shorts!
Michael above; Thomas below
They are really smiling and giggling these days. If they’re in at least a semi-decent mood, they’ll both smile at you if you smile at them. Thomas smiles with his whole body, so you have to make sure you’re holding him snugly – such a wiggle worm!
I would say that Michael is the more laid-back of the two. He’s pretty happy going with the flow, sleeping where he needs to, laying on the floor, sitting in the bouncer… whatever. Thomas is a little more… particular about his care. He may look like Natalie, but that’s a James and Joanna trait. :) He does so much better when he can be at home for naps and his usual “routine.”
They’re both pretty chewy and drooly lately. I can’t believe they might be about to cut teeth, but I guess it’s possible! Thomas has to have a bib on all the time or he will soak his clothes in no time. Michael is not quite as wet.
I have noticed them looking at each other and cooing back and forth more. I am so excited to watch that relationship develop – so sweet!
One day I put them in these pretty “mirror” colored dipes, and I just had to take some pics. I love the one I got above with Thomas on the left and Michael on the right. I thought I would show a few of the “outtakes” that it took to get the good one. :)
Mostly Michael just stayed in one spot and wiggly Thomas took a little time to find the sweet spot. Way too cute.
They are both wearing size 3-6 month clothes, though I’m sure they could size up if needed. I moved their diapers up to the next rise, and they have two rows (columns?) of snaps showing between the tabs. In disposable diapers, they’d still wear a size one with no trouble.
They can each roll from back to front, but only Thomas does it regularly. He gets stuck on his belly and makes a huge wet spot on whatever he’s laying on from all the drool. :) The big kiddos all know how to go over and gently roll him back to his back, which he likes better – ha! They both have decent head control, but aren’t close to sitting up yet. Nor are they able to be worn in a carrier on my hip or back. I did a TON of YouTube video watching on tandem baby wearing and came to the conclusion that they are both too big and too small to be worn together at this time. :( I might be able to do it with a loooong woven wrap (not stretchy like the Moby), but I don’t have one and am not sure I want to invest in one. They’re pretty pricey, and honestly I’m not sure I’d use it a ton. Before too long I will be able to wear one on my front and one on my back in a structured carrier like my Ergo. (And a friend has offered another Ergo to borrow!!) They don’t quite have the head/torso control for that yet. I’m guessing 4-6 weeks more or so. I have a Moby wrap that is you can technically wear twins in, but mine are just too big now. I tried it, but they were knocking heads and I needed to support them with my hands and they were heavy! They’ve just been so grouchy and needy lately that I want to be able to hold them both and a.) not die from my lack of arm muscles and b.) do anything else at the same time. But… I guess I’ll just have to wait.
Anyway… the babies had their 4 month check ups last week. We were supposed to go on Monday, but their doc was sick. We could have seen the nurse practitioner, but I didn’t mine waiting until Thursday so we could see Dr. Harper. It actually worked out better because my mom was off and came with me. Natalie was at school, but Joanna and James came along for the fun. I LOVE this blank stare at the TV while we were waiting. James even has his mouth open a bit. Ha!
I nursed the boys one at a time while the other one was being checked out. They did pretty good, though I’m sure it wasn’t their favorite day ever. James was very interested in what was going on. He was so talkative that day too! He even told Dr. Harper he needed to shave his whiskers – love it!
You can see Joanna holding her ears; she didn’t want to hear her brothers cry after their shots. :(
They of course did NOT like getting those vaccinations, but they calmed right down with a little of Momma’s milk before we left. They also had an oral vaccine, which they drank okay. I think they thought it was weird though.
Here are their stats:
Michael is 24 inches long and weighs 13lbs 0.5oz with a a head circumference of 16.5 inches.
Thomas is 24.25 inches long and weighs 13lbs 13.5oz with a head circumference of 17.01 inches.
They have big heads. :) Michael is in the fifth percentile for weight and Thomas is in the thirteenth. Their head circumference is 52nd and 87th percentile – whoa! They’re both very proportional for their height and weight. Perfect!!
They are both just so stinking cute, and I’m so enjoying being their momma! Even though it’s totally our normal to have TWINS around here, that reality still catches me off-guard sometimes and surprises me. Yesterday I was in the bathroom and glanced over to see two matching striped washcloths hanging from the shower curtain rod. I did a double-take – twin babies!
It’s a full house here for sure, and we love it!
No comments:
Post a Comment