Thursday, November 18, 2010

Our Favorite Pancakes

This is my favorite pancake recipe, adapted slightly from a Kroger flyer from a few years ago.

PB170560

Preheat griddle to 350 degrees (or a fry pan to mediumish if you don’t have a griddle like me).

Whisk together in a large bowl:

1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour

3 Tbsp brown sugar

1 3/4 tsp baking powder

3/4 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

Whisk together in another bowl:

1 1/2 cups buttermilk

3 Tbsp canola oil

2 large eggs

3/4 tsp vanilla extract

Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and gently whisk together just until combined.  Pour batter onto hot greased griddle.  Flip pancake when it begins to bubble.  Cook one minute longer, and transfer to plate.

I often double this recipe and freeze the pancakes.  They’re very good reheated in the microwave for an easy breakfast.  I like them plain, as do the girls, but they’re of course great with butter, syrup, or jam.  To me, these really do not taste “whole wheat.”  They’re very soft and very sweet – yum!

You can easily add frozen fruit to these pancakes.  Just sprinkle the fruit on after you pour the batter.

I never have buttermilk on hand so I substitute with “soured” milk.  1 1/2 Tbsp vinegar into a measuring glass.  Add enough milk to make 1 1/2 cups.  Let it sit for 5 minutes.

Last night I attempted letter pancakes:

N for Natalie:

PB170562

J for Joanna:

PB170563

M for Mommy:

PB170564

D for Daddy:

PB170565

I need a little practice, but everyone enjoyed eating their letter.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, YUM!!! I wrote the recipe down so that we can try it. I'm never pleased with the boxed ones I make.

    I've "heard" that if you put your batter in an old ketchup bottle, that it's easy to write and draw with. That may be what you did, but if not, try it next time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally going to try this recipe, I never knew you could sour milk that way. I use Bisquick (BLUSH!) but add lemon juice, same idea really. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i use the recipe in betty crocker's cookbook. i love pancakes... and try reheating them in the toaster sometime, makes them just alittle crisp on the outside and still all soft and warm on the inside... I love them that way! more than fresh off the stove, really... i like them to have just a bit of crisp on the outside to "crunch" into... you can achieve that fresh, but it goes away if you don't eat it straight off the griddle. i always double my recipe, and with 2 boys and me and aj eating them, we usually finish or come close to finishing them... once tim's eating, too, we may have to triple it!! lol!! fun idea with the letters... we grew up with my mom making teddy bears w/ choco chips for eyes/nose/belly button. we LOVED when she did those! She made an airplane for josh once, an i added mini m&m's for the wing lights! did you ever have one of my mom's teddy bear pancakes? she used to make them for us when we'd have sleepovers... so you might have.

    ReplyDelete