Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sleeping

My Children are asleep... in their respective beds... in their ROOM. That's right, room, not rooms. They are asleep in the same room... at the same time. Whoa.
Let me fill you in on Natalie's sleep the past week or so.
Okay, newsbreak: Joanna is not asleep, just quiet. That's okay with me!
Anyway, about mid-week last week Natalie slept through the night in a big way. We layed her down around 8pm in her bassinet in my mother's empty room. At 4am, Matt's like, "Hey Jess, it's 4'o clock." I was out of that bed like a flash and in to check on her. She was fine... kind of scrunched in the top of the bassinet, but fine. She woke up on her own a few minutes later, ravenous of course. The next couple of nights went about the SAME WAY! Then Sunday night we got home late so she didn't go down until about 10pm and woke up at 3am. Not quite as great, but still long! Then last night she went down again about 8pm and slept till around 3:30. I'll take it! We decided we'd go ahead and try letting the girls sleep in the same room tonight. Now, Joanna can get into the crib, so it's a little scary. We had a nice long talk about how she was going to sleep in her bed and Natalie was going to sleep in the crib. We'll see how it works out. I've been just letting Natalie sleep next to me when she wakes up in the early morning. I won't do it forever, but it works for us for now. As some point I will get my lazy self out of the bed and put her back in her bed when she's finished eating, but that would require me to stay awake. Um, right. When Joanna was sleeping in her own room but still nursing 1 or 2 times a night, I'd feed her in the recliner, watching a little TV. It was kind of a nice, quiet time for us, and I enjoyed it. I envision something similar happening with Miss Natalie. Maybe when we get this "two girls in a room thing" kind of routine. I'm really hoping Natalie will continue to sleep this long stretch -- a person really can live like this!
I do have pics to post, and I will soon I hope!
Also, Joanna's having problems with her bottom again. It is very red and raw, and I don't know what's causing it! She did so well for a couple of weeks, then last week it started getting bad again. She has days of lots of tiny BMs, then very loose stools, culminating in a very red and raw bottom. We keep cream on it; we've even got some very strong prescription stuff that we only use when needed -- it's VERY strong. It still takes it a few days to work though, and if we don't fix what's causing it, it just comes back. Argggghhhh! If you would keep this situation in your prayers, I would appreciate it. It hasn't gotten as bad as it's been, thankfully, but it easily could. Please pray that we learn what is causing this. If it gets worse instead of better the next couple of days, I'll probably take her in to the doc. The last time we were there, it had just gotten better after weeks and weeks of awfulness so I didn't really press him for a "diagnosis." He kind of agreed with my theory of what it was, basically an overcompensation for constipation, causing diaper rash which caused her to try to hold in her BMs because it hurt, causing more diaper rash when it didn't really work. Seriously there were days when I changed more that a DOZEN dirty diapers from Joanna alone -- teeny tiny dirty diapers. Oh, it was awful. Oh, it was so so awful.
I realize that I have seriously rambled. It felt good, though. Thank you for reading!
I think Joanna is asleep now. What a milestone -- 2 girls in one room!

3 comments:

  1. oh poor joanna. When jacob was little he used to say he had "Diaper Mash" - it is so sad, somehow sadder I think when they are big and can ask about it and expect you to fix it. Poor Jess , I hope this doesn't turn into that again, I really do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...I'm seriously impressed! Both of them sleeping in the same room..you're brave! I don't think we'll be moving our boys in together till Sam's ready for a "big" bed...unless we have an unexpected surprise baby come our way before then!! I hope it works out well! And also, the whole getting up to feed your child...Josh (when he was in the bassinet, anyway, and some after that) ate in bed with me lying down...way more comfy, and I hardly had to wake up...in fact there were probably too many times that we both fell asleep while he was eating, and woke up later to burp and change the diaper...he was such a good sleeper! I'm hoping Sam's the same way, but I have my doubts...
    Hope Joanna's bottom starts getting better...those days are NOT fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to hear that the girls are already sleeping in the same room. You know we're going to have to do this, too. I've been wanting to see how it works out for you...I know it will be fine (people have been doing it forever, but it makes me worry!)

    I'm so sorry about Joanna's bottom. Have you ever used Lactinex? We used that some when Paul David got a bad diaper rash caused by teething. It settles their stomach acids or something like that. E-mail me if it's might be something you're interested in, but you may have already tried that!

    ReplyDelete