These pics are all from Saturday and Sunday and my work in the kitchen. Before we get to them, here’s what I tackled today! Although, I didn’t take any pictures. :) I filled FOUR file crates with books to get rid of. If you’ve met me, you know this is HUGE. I was attempting to be ruthless. :) Or at least thorough. I managed to clear the bottom two shelves off of the big bookcase in the living room. I’m hoping this means I will have to pick up fewer paperbacks around the house. One of Natalie’s favorite things is pulling the books off the shelves. It’s funny, Joanna messes with EVERYTHING, but she never messed with my books. I also cleared off (or mostly, at least – some junk needs to be moved around) two small bookcases in my bedroom. I’m going to move them over to my side of the room and make them my “dresser.” I’m tired of stacking my clothes on the floor. It’s not working for me. That will also clear off the other side of the room to possibly move my desk into there. Still thinking about that one. I recently moved my two bookcase/drawer thingies that used to reside in the dining room (but have really been all over) back into the living room on either side of the TV cabinet. It really fills the wall space better. They were pretty empty and sad looking, so I filled them up with books and some of the girls’ videos, and they feel so much better now. I like my bookcases full. It is my way. Okay, I happed to be sitting within eyeshot of all of this with my camera and cord so I figured since I could snap pics and upload them without moving, it was the least I could do. :)
I tried to crop out most of the rest of my clutter since I’m not done yet and my house is a serious (but work in progress!) pit.
Big bookcase in the living room, cleared of misc clutter including nail polish and all sorts of things that were put out of reach of tiny hands.
I may put some of the girls books or toys on the bottom shelves. We’ll see what I feel like! Maybe just spare pillows and blankets… who knows.
To the right of the TV. I moved some of our photo albums and scrapbooks back into the living room. Joanna LOVES looking at “baby Joanna” in books. I also pulled the girls’ videos out from inside the TV cabinet. They were a pain to get to, and this way Joanna can see what she’d like to watch.
I just love that there’s still some empty space! The Harry Potter books, audio books, and DVDs got a spot above the TV. :)
Also today I tackled the girls’ clothes. I’ve just been putting it off and it’s been getting bigger and scarier! For Joanna, I cleared out all of her 24mos and 2T stuff that was lurking in the drawers. I also put away really wintery 3T stuff. I organized all her clothes into two of the big dresser drawers, with undies and socks in one tiny one above.
For Natalie (I think the bigger project), I put away most of her 12 month clothes and the lingering 9 month stuff. I also went through all the socks (that have not gone anywhere since her birth!) and pulled out only the ones she could actually wear. The others I stuck in an empty drawer awaiting the gender discovery of #3. I also went through all the tights and tried to organize them by size. All of Natalie’s clothes went into the other two big drawers (and one tiny one for socks). Their stuff both fits in the one dresser – whoo hoo! I knew it would; it was just a matter of getting it done. This is one size that I can definitely tell the girls’ seasons are off. Joanna didn’t start wearing 18 month clothes until the fall, so there are NO SHORTS in this stuff! No shorts! There are 8,000 pair of pants though. And it’s really okay, because there are lots of dresses, a few rompers, and a couple of capri pants. In fact, I think a lot of the dresses were handed down to Joanna, but she missed the season for them. They’re practically new for Natalie!
Okay, finally to some of the work I did in the kitchen. I am far from finished, but making progress!
Pyrex/corningware/bakeware cabinet before:
Oye… the serving ware, catch-all cabinet before:
I managed to combine them to this!!
I got rid of a lot of things and moved some things around. Some of the jars went where they’re supposed to go – in a box to go back to my dad and Renee; the really big platter and one other large serving dish thingie are in limbo right now waiting on the new perfect home. The cabinet pictured above is empty right now except for that pitcher and juice glass set. It’s also in limbo. I think I know where it’s going, but other things have to move around first.
I took away the girls’ cabinet I let them play in as it always resulted in crap all over the floor for me to pick up, and I need the space. I’m trying to make everything in the kitchen flow better and make more sense. So I had Matt install more child-locks for me. Joanna really wanted to help.
Natalie, too. I took out the sharp things and watched them, but man they loved playing with Daddy’s tools! This is now the “food storage” cabinet. I moved all the plastic containers (which I really am trying to faze out, but glass is expensive!) from another small cabinet (emptying it out!), and brought the glass containers I do have down (hence the child lock) as well as all the lunch bags. And Dad and Renee, I have no idea what’s behind Matt’s hand.
My kitchen already feels better, and I haven’t even tackled the everyday stuff like dishes, the girls’ cups and bowls, silverware and knives, cooking utensils, etc. It’s going to be so nice once I’m done!!
I’m entering the busy part of my week, though, so I likely won’t get much done in the next few days. In fact, I’m trying to convince myself right now to get the girls’ lunches made for tomorrow and I can’t do it! Oh, well, rushed morning it is. :)
Got the lunches made. Blegh, but so glad it’s done! The sink is empty; the dishwasher is running. I’m going to bed!
Oh girlfriend I am so super proud of you, what a lot of work you've done!
ReplyDeleteOK bear with me for just one "nosy Rosy" comment on your bookcase - a bookcase that is really top heavy and light on bottom is a bit of a tipping hazard unless the book case itself it really heavy & solid or attached with braces to the wall (which yours may be, I can't remember?) - I'm not sure if your girls are climbers or not but if so you might want to find some heavier stuff for the bottom shelves. OK - enough interference I promise! I so need to do this decluttering thing at my house...uggg, I don't want to think about it!
impressive! it made me tired just reading about all that work!
ReplyDelete