Here is the recipe I basically use for beans and rice in the crockpot. The first time or two I made them this way I followed it exactly. Since then, I’ve changed things up a bit. I usually don’t do the yogurt thing. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn’t, who knows. The last time I did it I used a little (maybe two cans worth) of chicken broth in with the water to cook them. I think it made them a little more flavorful. I just love the consistency of the beans and rice after cooking all day, and it’s so easy! You really could add any spices you wanted to to make it your own. Or change up the beans. The recipe also says to switch the crockpot to high after you put in the rice, but I leave it on low and find it’s still plenty done. We usually put cheese on top and serve with cornbread. This recipe makes a TON so I freeze the leftovers in portions (maybe 2 cups or so). I use the bean/rice mix as a sub for meat in some recipes, taco/burritos especially. I’ve also made sloppy joes with a half meat half bean/rice combo and you really can’t tell. The girls aren’t big on the plain dish, but subbed for meat they like it fine. Nursing James I’m having some difficulty eating beans, so I stopped. :) These make the house smell delish!
No comments:
Post a Comment