I have no energy these days, but I also find my self drowning a little in all the clutter around here. So I’ve decided to start getting some of it out! And not just to the garage, which is my inclination. Some of my goals with regards to decluttering:
Long Term:
-Clear out the garage so that I can park my car in there. Just my car is fine.
-Redo the laundry room/pantry to make it a “mud room.” The idea is our main entrance with be through the garage, through this dumping zone, and into the kitchen, which is always where I end up anyway.
-Find useable attic space for long-term storage: (some teaching stuff – much has to be culled, but some will be kept; Christmas decor)
-I’m considering possibly moving my office stuff (desk, bookcase) into the master bedroom. There’s space for it in there, and it would free up the play room for more play and also a space for a kiddo to nap/rest. Right now I can have a pack and play in there but not a loose kid… at least not a loose Joanna. The office stuff makes it not safe.
Short Term:
-Move the girls’ clothes into one dresser to prep for #3.
-Clean out the entry closet; put away winter accessories and make spring/summer stuff available. (Actually, long term I’d like to rip out the drywall and redo as it’s damaged from Ike, then install a closet organizing system)
-Master bedroom/bathroom. Uhhgggg… I just have so much stress that the door stays closed all the time. I don’t even like sleeping in there. And yet, it gets the least attention of all.
-Figure out some system for our shoes. I think the eventual “mudroom” will help with this, but I need an interim solution. We may just have too many shoes. (!!)
-Donate much to SOSS
-Sell what I can. Man, I wish our subdivision had an annual Garage sale.
-Start a toy loan program to get some toys out of my house!
So that brings me to my idea. The first place I started decluttering when I had some energy last night was the playroom. I started chucking stuff into the pack and play that I wanted OUT! Some of it is Happy Meal chachkies and the like which will be ditched or donated. But some of it are real, useable toys that either my girls just haven’t gotten into (trains, legos, etc.) or they’ve outgrown (push toy, exersaucer, etc.) So my thought is that I have a lot of mom friends with kids around my age that just may be in temporary need of the things I don’t. I would have this caveat: if it doesn’t come back to me in the condition I loaned it in… that’s OKAY! Do your best, but don’t stress about it! I’m not going to loan out our favorite, sentimental stuff. Just the stuff I thought my kids would like but didn’t or stuff they’re done liking for a while. It’s a way to put away toys without having to have a place to put them. :)
I’m not exactly starting tonight as I’m tired, and Matt and I are going to watch some TV on Hulu. But soon I will post some pics of things I’d like to loan out. Maybe I’ll have a separate blog with a link here? Then you can just leave a comment if you’d like to borrow it. First come, first served. To get you thinking: Among the things that are coming to mind that I have are: exersaucer, small wooden train set, big legos with table, Little People airplane, push car that converts to ride on car. And some other toys that I don’t know what they’re called exactly. :)
Anybody think this is a good idea? Or not? It’s just something I’d like to try! I know I come in need of some kid stuff every now and again, and I LOVE when I can borrow instead of buy. Or at least buy used instead of buy new.
great ideas jessica!! i'd love to borrow the train set!!! you can take stuff out of my closet when you need some fresh toys at your house. :)
ReplyDelete