Monday, January 24, 2011

Birthday Party Dinner

I decided on Chicken Taco Soup for dinner on party night for a few reasons:

1. It’s easy.

2. It’s yummy.

3.  It can feed a lot of people.

I also learned something very very helpful the week or so before.

P1140247

You can shred cooked chicken in the stand mixer.

P1140248

I cannot tell you how many times I’ve made this recipe and either chopped the chicken up or shredded it with a fork.  Not fun.  Not easy.

Isn’t this beautiful?

P1140246

And I did not have to touch it!

We put the leaf in the table and had lots of fun feeding the extended family!

IMG_9765IMG_9777

I think there are people who entertain often.  I don’t know how they do it.  I was exhausted.

David brought over tamales, and they went perfect with our soup and cornbread!

IMG_9764

I love that my girls love this soup (and of course the Jiffy cornbread that went with it!).

IMG_1287

This link to the soup is pretty much the recipe I use.  I sub pinto beans for the chili beans since I don’t like the extra heat.  I also sub chicken broth for the beer since we don’t buy beer!  Eventually I plan to make a more “from scratch” version of this soup with fresh(er) ingredients and less salt and preservatives.  This one sure is yummo though!  And it freezes/reheats really well.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh that sounds so yummy. What a perfect wintry birthday meal! What a blessing to have a stand mixer! I have appliance envy... PS check out the new colors on the swim dress website ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip!! SO did not know that, and I avoid recipes that call for shredded chicken purely for that reason. Sounds like y'all had fun... oh, and those people who entertain all the time? I'm pretty sure they either don't have several young children, or they have a maid service...

    ReplyDelete