Tuesday, January 24, 2012

James’ Vocabulary

I wanted to, while I was thinking about it, post a list of the words James can sign or say.  It’s just for me because I will want to remember.

Signs:
more (bangs two fists together)
all done (waves his hands)
milk (squeezes one hand together)
please (rubs two hands on his chest)
help (this one is cute – it’s a fist with the thumb up on his upper chest, very close to his neck, accompanied by a concentrating face.)
diaper (taps his diaper – in theory I’d like him to be able to tell me when he needs a change; we’re not quite there yet.)
water (pokes the side of his face)
food (bangs one fist on his cheek)

Spoken words:
ball/balloon (they sound slightly different sometimes, but basically he uses the same word for both)
bye-bye/night-night (pretty interchangeable)
bite (as in, “I’d like one, please.”)
uh-oh
And I think he says banana, but all of the sudden I’m not totally sure.

He can also say the sounds for Mama and Dada, but he hasn’t labeled us with them yet.  He’d prefer to just cry and reach for me.  It’s all good.  :)

He also sings a lot.  He sings Twinkle Twinkle most often, and it’s very recognizable.  I’m sure some of the other things he sings I just don’t quite recognize yet.  The other one I recognize easily is the prayer that the girls sing at school: “God our Father.”  James puts his hands together at dinner time and sings the first few notes of the song to remind us to pray together.  I’ve heard him sing along to the radio, and the other day he sang quite a bit in the car after he heard the girls singing.  It is so beautiful to hear those little voices.  I kind of tear up a little imaging my little James in a few years as a boy soprano.  I think God gave him a love of music that we can see already.

No comments:

Post a Comment