Monday, November 19, 2012

Our First Thanksgiving, not to be confused with THE First Thanksgiving

Because I didn’t take any pictures back in 1621.

We went downtown to my Great Aunt Pat and Uncle Val’s beautiful condo for our extended family’s Thanksgiving celebration on Saturday.

Natalie was one very happy girl – the place was covered in mirrors!!

IMG_8648

She loves to look at herself dance and make faces.

I have no idea where she gets this.

IMG_8659

Ahem.  :)

For the record, I use my left eye to shoot.  I’ve always been “left-eyed.”  I wonder how common that is?  What eye do you use?

This next face is actually a reenactment as the first time she made it I couldn’t quite get the shot.  It’s a very accurate representation though!

IMG_8660

It was soooo fun to take pictures in their house!  There was so much gorgeous light coming in from the windows, and it was bouncing all over the place with all those mirrors!

IMG_8661

A view from one window.  Sooooo pretty!

IMG_8663

We made a few attempts at a family portrait.  :)

IMG_8673

We were not entirely successful.

IMG_8675

I really didn’t spend the entire day taking pictures in the mirrors.  :)

IMG_8679

Though it might seem that way.  I shot a bunch on Manual, but I did switch over to auto some; I just couldn’t quite dial the settings just right.

I love this one.  I’m not totally sure why, but I think it seems like it has some movement to it?

IMG_8681

I don’t want to even think about all the fingerprints my three angels left there.  Thank goodness for the maid.  Bless her.

David was appointed turkey carver – he worked very hard and did a good job!

IMG_8684

Those are my beautiful mashed potatoes.  They were very good too, I might add.

IMG_8687

A good spread!!  Thanksgiving is really all about the sides for me.

IMG_8688

James was a pretty happy boy all day, especially considering he did not have a nap.  Or would not have one, anyway.  :)

IMG_8689

I love this girl:

IMG_8694

My sweet Aunt Pat even had a kids table and some toys set up for my crew!

IMG_8697

One attempt at getting James to nap – he wouldn’t do it – too much fun to be had!

IMG_8699

I made the comment to someone that I really needed to make sure I was looking alright before I snapped any pictures.  I was bound to be reflected in them.

IMG_8700

The recliners were all remote-controlled and would tip all the way forward.  A very fun ride.  :)

IMG_8703

Kathryn catching a little after-turkey nap.  I have not really been able to have one of those since 2007.  :)

IMG_8706

I love this boy:

IMG_8708

My grandmother was feeling a little poorly and couldn’t make it.  I missed her but I sure was thankful she could send along a couple of pecan pies!!

IMG_8714

This is my Great Uncle Val.  He’s my grandmother’s brother, and he’s a super-wonderful man.  He turned 82 today, and we celebrated his birthday on Saturday.

IMG_8716

In the late afternoon I caught some of that wonderful light I like (that I can find at my house too), but it was ten times more wonderful coming in the giant windows of the high-rise.

IMG_8725IMG_8728

James took some rides with Theresa on the recliners.

IMG_8740

So fun!  Theresa is my second cousin, so she is James’ second cousin, once removed.  Just so you know.

IMG_8743

We had such a wonderful day.  I felt so very blessed to be surrounded by my extended family that I’ve spent many many Thanksgivings with.  We were missing quite a few faces, but it was still a lovely visit.  Happy Thanksgiving, whether yours is over or still yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment