But if I tell you it's a swimsuit, I bet the general consensus would be that it's very modest.Don't you think that's strange?
I haven't bought a swimsuit in quite some time. In fact, I'm not sure I've bought one since I started having kids. That's mainly to do with me being pregnant or having just had a baby most summers. Hard to fit, to say the very least. Swimsuits are hard to find for most women I think. Modest suits are even harder to find. I don't see them in the stores. I guess there isn't much of a market for them. Fortunately there do seem to be some places online that sell various kinds of modest swimsuits. Like this one. My friend Shaun sent me the link. That's were I got the picture above. I'm thinking I may try that one out this year. It looks pretty forgiving and pretty comfortable. I don't do much swimming, but I am determined to get Joanna (and maybe Natalie) into lessons, and I'm pretty sure that means I'll need to be in the water some. James will also be at a fun age for the pool and the beach.
Anyway, I just can't wrap my mind around why swimsuits are so skimpy, so uncomfortable, and so expensive (for such a tiny piece of material)! Last year I remember looking at either L.L. Bean or Land's End (anybody else get those two confused?), and seeing that they have swim shirts to go over regular suits, but that doesn't help much below the belt. How come men get to swim in shorts?
Anybody have any thoughts? Do you like regular suits? Wish you had a more modest option? Does anyone have a modest suit they like?
I guess I'm in a pondering kind of mood today. :)
OK, this might get long...just a warning:) I, too, think women's swimsuits are just too revealing and rediculously priced for very little fabric. I mean men get to cover up all the way to their knees. Now, I like to cover up for the sake of my fair, fair skin and then I don't have to worry as much about when, how much and how often I apply my sunscreen except to my face. So, I have looked and looked for swim shirts and swim shorts. I bought several swim shirts from Lands End last year and I LOVE THEM! I saw the "board shorts" too late to get those, but I plan to get a pair of them this year. It says that they're not for swimming, but come on, some people wear regular shorts to swim in. Also, we've ordered from a site called coolibar.com I have their swim shirts and swim shorts and LOVE them...they're a bit pricey, but well worth it.
ReplyDeleteThat swimsuit in the picture is adorable, though. The only thing I wonder about is if the flowy part would be annoying in the water. I've had skirt swimsuits before that just would not stay down in the water and would just float right up in my face if I was sitting in the water. Just a thought.
I've thought about buying men's trunks and just wearing my swim shirt with them. That would be a lot cheaper:)
Good luck with your search!
I went to the site and watched the video, and it looks like the skirt does great in the water. I'm thinking about getting one as well...the sleeves are so cute with it, too! I could still wear my swim shirt over them...might look like a dork, but whatever!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you shared this!!! I'm going to send the link to my mil...I think she'd like them as well!
I think they should make the suits like your girls had last year, the shorts/tops, in grown up sizes!! They were super cute, looked uber comfy, and protect you from the sun!
ReplyDeleteI actually think it would even make a cute little dress :) I've just been looking at one pieces, and I found some cute ones. I am with Candice on the fact that I think the flowy part would totally be in your face when you're in the water. My maternity suit would do that to me, and it drove me nuts! I do love the swim shirt look that Candice talked about, too. I'll have to look around and see if I see anything of interest...I'll let ya know :)
ReplyDeleteThe only danger in this is that you and I might be TWINS at the pool! I am actually probably getting the Tara (the other major design) on this site. I won't go into a whole thing about modesty here and how modest dressing has totally been life changing for me but I do love this suit. I have talked with several online friends that have purchased these and the dress part is mesh - so water goes through it, so it doesn't float or get bubbles because it isn't "solid". I was worried about bubbles or squelching noises but evidently this is not a problem. I just LOVE the idea of being covered and comfortable and cute at the pool. I cannot understand why we have gotten to the point of wearing LESS than underwear - it's crazy if you really stop and think about it.
ReplyDeletefyi ladies, i wear swim skirts and i tuck the sides into the bottom of the brief part when i'm in the water and pull it out coming up out of the stairs. i think i got some from jcpenney which was way cheaper, but not quite as cute, as lands end, and not quite as modest as this one. and yes cathy i so agree with you on those swimsuits!!!! my girls had some like the pence girls and i so wish i had a matching one!
ReplyDeleteIn case anyone comes back to read this - Kathy they do make ones like the girl's ones at Target - http://www.hydrochic.com/index.html
ReplyDeleteI just wish they cost the same!