Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Fried Okra, my love

Fried okra has for as long as I can remember been a favorite of mine.  Recently (as in the last couple of years) I have actually fried it myself.  My grandma grows a lot of okra in the summer and we are blessed to be recipients of some quite frequently!

I like them just plain ol’ steamed as well, and we do that a lot because it’s easier.  And the kids like it!

But this post is about something that tastes totally different and amazing and is a comfort food to top all comfort foods.

Okra.  I like to use the big ones for frying.  Cut off the top (Joanna calls it the handle.) and slice them into pieces (maybe 1/2 inch thick).  I fry the skinny ends too; Natalie calls them microphones.

P8092192

Dip the pieces into a mixture of 1 egg and 1 cup milk.

P8092193

Decide what you’d like to bread them with.  This, my friends, is delish:

P8092195

But it’s just cornmeal with seasonings in it so you can do your own thing too.  I find a mixture of the fish-fry and plain cornmeal works very well for us since the fish-fry has a little kick to it.

After the okra pieces are soaked in egg/milk, roll ‘em around in the breading:

P8092194

Fish them out and fry in oil.  I’ve been using coconut oil and about medium heat.  This is obviously the oil before the heat was on.

P8092196

Fry them for a few minutes until golden.  If the oil’s not deep enough, you’ll need to scoot them around a bit.

My milk/egg ratio was off a bit this day (or something… who knows) so the breading didn’t stick as well as usual.  Soooooo good though.  So good.

P8092198

And everybody likes ‘em this way too!  I haven’t let James have them fried yet though.  Poor deprived kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment