Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Pregnancy and icky colds

Over the last few days, I've begun to feel all "3rd trimestery." I went from feeling GREAT! to feeling large, etc. almost overnight. Sometime this weekend I started feeling what I believe are Braxton Hicks contractions. This is a self diagnosis; I have a call in to my doctor so we'll see. I remember having these when I was pregnant with Joanna, but it never occurred to me to label them as contractions. I really thought Joanna was in there doing it. I'm pretty sure I was much further along than this, too. Basically it feels like my belly tightens up all around. I go from carrying a cute little baby one minute to a bowling ball the next. I think it was Sunday night that I came to the realization that the baby could not be doing this (like by stretching pushing or something) and that they may be contractions. I felt them nearly all day on Monday, almost constantly. They weren't bad, just annoying. I thought if they continued on Tuesday, I'd call the nurse line at my doctor's office. I didn't really notice them Tuesday until the evening, when the nurse line isn't an option. They were constant and very uncomfortable last evening, but again I didn't really notice them throughout the day today. Then about 3:45 they started up again and I decided to finally call and leave the nurse a (long, rambling, hopefully descriptive enough) message. So now I will wait to see if my doctor wants to see me now or wait 'till my regular appointment next week.
Matt and Joanna both have nasty colds. Matt got his first, then shared it with Joanna. So far, I'm feeling good, but I did start to have a tickle in my throat today. Hopefully it's just sympathy tickling. :) Monday morning Joanna woke up a monster child. I think she'd started to feel bad on Sunday (hence the bad nap event), and woke up with a full-blown cold. I had my fingers crossed it could be allergies, but that didn't pan out. Monday night my wonderful mother was home and watched Joanna while Matt and I went to home group Bible study. We came home about 9:40ish to an awake and crying baby. :( She'd gone down at 7:30 or so, but woken back up at about 9:15. My mom was in putting her back to sleep when we got home. I gave her a few more minutes to try to settle, then I went in and gave her some Tylenol and some snuggles. I put her back in bed, but she fussed for 45 more minutes. It's a little fuzzy now, but I think it was about 11:15 at this point. We let her get up; I could tell she felt AWFUL. We tried Mommy snuggles and Daddy snuggles and our bed, but nothing worked. She was actually happy to play (while Matt and I were both exhausted!), so we let her for a little bit. At 12:15 or so, I tried putting her back in bed. She got quiet, I was hopeful, then she opened the door and came padding out again. I'd been staying awake, even when she was in her bed, because I didn't want to fall asleep while she was up crying (or wandering around the house), but I was soooo tired by this point. We snuggled and sang some more, then I layed her down one more time at 12:45ish. I pretty much crashed right after that, but not before I heard her get quiet -- finally asleep around 1:00am!!! OH MY GOODNESS!! I wonder if she was reminding us what newborns are like. Unfortunately she only slept until about 7am, but she was actually a pretty fun kid on Tuesday. I skipped staff meeting to stay at home with her, but asked wonderful Mamma to come watch Joanna for my afternoon worship planning meeting. Joanna sure does love her Mamma! She only took about a 40 minute nap, but I was happy for anything after that terrible night. Last night we decided to get a vaporizer for her room (can you believe I have a 19 month old, and I've never needed one?), and she slept fabulously -- from 8pm to 9AM!!! I actually left for my Bible Study when she was STILL ASLEEP! This sure has been a week for firsts. She was a pretty good kid again today, and up until this evening I would have said she is definitely going to be well enough for school tomorrow. She fell apart a little this evening. Who can blame her, though? She had a 35 minute nap, and she's all congested and nasty. She's asleep now (hopefully for the night!), with some Tylenol in her system and the vaporizer getting the air all warm and misty. I'm not thinking she'll be able to go to school tomorrow. This makes me really really sad. First of all, I really hate paying tuition for something we're not using (that was cheap Jessica talking; sorry), and it's really hard to get all my work done and watch Joanna! I finished up a good chunk of it tonight, and my mom's supposed to fly in mid-morning, so I should be good to get the bulletins run without Joanna's "help" tomorrow. :) That girl sure is cute, even when she's got phlegm.

No comments:

Post a Comment