Friday, January 29, 2010

Pizza Pockets

Today I tried a new recipe to put in the freezer for an easy lunch or dinner later.  It’s from HeavenlyHomemakers.com, which I LOVE.  I used the pizza dough recipe I’ve used before though, instead of hers.

First I made some pizza dough and split it into 8 pieces.  I rolled each piece out into a circle (or close!).  Then I put a little pizza sauce in the middle (homemade, from my dad’s canned tomatoes!)P1291080Then I added some chicken and cheese, which is what I had handy for pizza filling. P1291081I folded it over.P1291083  Then crimped the edges closed with a fork.P1291082I put them on a cookie sheet to freeze, then I will transfer them to a ziplock. P1291084

They should bake right out of the freezer!  I will update once we eat them.  If they’re good, I’ll do some more!  The chicken I used was very bland – I just boiled some thighs to make some broth to have on hand.  I’m hoping the pizza sauce flavors it up enough.  The pizza pockets were easy, but made for a very messy kitchen.  It would be just about as easy to double or triple the recipe, since I’m destroying my kitchen anyway!  I envision these being good for lunch at home. 

Heavenlyhomemakers.com just did a post on baking ahead, and she had links to LOTS of great recipes that I want to try.  I’ve been freezing pancakes, muffins, waffles, and bread for a while, but I like the idea of having a meal in the freezer for those evenings we all come home late or I forget to plan or I’m too tired for my original plan or whatever.

My WONDERFUL mother arrived just about the time I was going to throw my kids outside and take a hose to my kitchen with LUNCH for us!  We ate and she entertained them for a few minutes while I assembled the pockets.  Then she took Joanna with her to the grocery store, and Natalie actually played VERY sweetly in the kitchen while I started cleaning it.  I really really really love when my kitchen is clean… or mostly clean.  I just feel so much better!

It’s just about time to mess it up again for dinner.  Oh, and I just heard Matt come home – whoo hoo!  We’re doing breakfast for dinner tonight – yum!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy stalking Heavenly Homemakers website too! I wish she would grow me a garden like hers!

    ReplyDelete