Dovie sent us home with some okra (picked while we were there!) on Tuesday when we picked up our eggs and milk. I fried it up this weekend!
I tried a couple of things differently this time {after reading several recipes on Pinterest}, and I want to document what I did!
I put the cut up okra in buttermilk {actually milk soured with vinegar – 1T vinegar to 1 cup milk} and let it cool in the fridge for 30 minutes or so.
The first batch I used this stuff to bread the okra because it’s easy and yummy:
But it was too spicy for the kiddos, so I made my own for the next batch (actually the next day). It turned out great. I didn’t exactly measure, but I’ll guess. I used freshly ground cornmeal. It was ground very finely mainly due to my not knowing exactly how it behaves in the grain mill. Then I added sea salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. I’m estimating there was about 1 cup of cornmeal, 1 teaspoon each of the garlic, onion, and salt, and a few sprinkles of black pepper. That was very good and not too spicy for the kiddos.
I took the okra out of the buttermilk with a slotted spoon, allowing as much to drain off as possible. Then I coated it in the cornmeal mixture before dropping it into hot oil.
I used palm shortening to fry the okra. It has a high smoke point and is good stuff!
It’s solid at room temperature – see?
I used my big ol’ dutch oven because it’s the only cast iron thing I have. {I know, I can hardly believe it myself. Who am I?}
They were delicious!
The next day when I made the other batch I didn’t actually fry it, I baked it. I like fried better, but this was surprisingly good too, so I feel I should document it. The beginning steps were the same but instead of tossing the breaded okra into a pot of oil, I put it on a buttered cookie sheet. Next time, I know I need to really butter that bad boy instead of just the light layer I did. The okra stuck, but it wasn’t too awful. They went into the oven for 40 minutes at 450F, stirring halfway through.
No comments:
Post a Comment