Monday, October 8, 2012

Zebra by Joanna Pence

Joanna’s class can dress up for Halloween as long as they dress up as “storybook characters” and they have the book to go with their costume.  So she and I started brainstorming and immediately thought of her costume from last year – Little Bo Peep.  And we made sure we had a book that had that poem in it.

Then Gran came home from the store with a zebra costume for Joanna, which she would like to figure out how to wear to the storybook parade.  I told her we would look for a book that had a zebra as a character, but she could always be Little Bo Peep if we couldn’t find one.  Well, she was pretty set on being able to wear the cool zebra costume so what does she do?

She sits down at the table yesterday afternoon and writes a story about a zebra.

I’m beaming.

I photographed and translated it for you.  She asked me how to spell zebra, and I helped her sound it out, but absolutely all the rest of it is 100% the work of Joanna.  Here you go:

IMG_7798 1IMG_7802 1IMG_7804 1

IMG_7805 1

IMG_7797 1

I’m so proud of my little problem-solver, and I literally could not be happier that she’s writing!!!!

And while we’re all here, does anyone know of a storybook off the top of their head that has a zebra in it?

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever read the Sweet Pickles books? It's a series about a town full of animals who have alliterative names, one for each letter of the alphabet. There's Goof-off Goose, Clever Camel, Accusing Alligator &, of course, Zany Zebra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polar bear, polar bear, what do you hear? by Eric Carle has a zebra.

    ReplyDelete