Saturday, April 2, 2011

Bread and Butter

The girls and I were getting very tired of looking at each other by Friday, so I decided we should make some butter!  Matt had just brought home two gallons of fresh milk the evening before, so I skimmed some cream off the top.  I needed some for a recipe later, but I threw a little into a baby food jar.

P4010734

I’m glad I decided to start with a  very small amount – it would have taken us FOREVER to do a larger batch, I think.

The girls helped me shake the jar.

P4010735

You can see the motion in this one!

P4010736

After probably a hour of shaking, we have butter!

P4010737

I poured off the liquid and stuck it in the fridge to harden a bit.

P4010741

Then of course I ate some on a couple slices of bread that were conveniently just out of the oven!

P4010742

I took a picture of this piece of bread because it’s actually “bread” shaped!  Most of our loaves aren’t quite so perfect.

P4010743

I’m loving our whole wheat bread made from actual wheat berries these days.  Yum yum yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment