Tuesday, April 19, 2011

James’ 6 month check-up

I dropped the girls off at school, so it was just James and me for the doctor’s visit – yay!

He arrived asleep, but it was a very short nap.

P4191172

His stats (the first round, anyway – more on that in a minute): 14lbs 1oz; 26in long; 17in head circumference.

P4191173P4191175

We waited quite a while in there, so we took a bunch of pictures to stave off our boredom.

P4191177P4191179P4191180

James just wanted to roll around, so I very carefully let him do so on the exam table.  I caught some video, but it isn’t particularly exciting, just rather documentaryish.

P4191184

So here’s the thing – he’s barely increased in weight and his height is the same as two months ago.  So Dr. Harper had us re-measure and for whatever reason, we came up with slightly increased numbers:
14lbs 6oz (he’d eaten, probably tinkled, and it was a different scale)
26.25in (not much change, though we streeetched him!)

The doctor feels better about the second measurements, and is feeling that it’s quite likely he was “exuberantly measured” the last time.  He isn’t worried about the weight; this is a time of fluctuation for babies anyway with the transition over to solid food.  He’s concerned about the height, but both he and I feel that he was likely measured long last time.  I know his clothes are fitting differently, even though I haven’t measured him myself.

So guess when it was that our Miss Joanna fell of the growth charts as a baby?  Yup – 6 months.  Man those two kids are built from the same mold!

So even though I’d planned to wait until James was sitting up better to start “solid” food, he started a little rice cereal today!  I came home and cooked up some ground up rice for him while he slept.  I mixed the porridge with some breastmilk, and he had fun “eating” it!  I’ll do a separate post on that fun feeding adventure.  I know he wants to eat – he stares us down when we eat, and he does seem to be hungry pretty often.

James also isn’t putting any weight on his legs, which I had noticed but not actually worried about yet.  Still not worried, but now consciously trying to make him work on it.  I’m definitely not worried about the sitting, as both girls were late sitters.  My kids like to move before they sit, thus completely eliminating that beautiful baby time where they sit there and play with toys but don’t go across the room and eat fuzz and dirt off the floor.  Nope, not bitter.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh, those stats can put us into a tailspin can't they?! I swear I think with Bella I'm going to stop asking and just let them deal with it.

    ReplyDelete