The girls LOVE eating oatmeal for breakfast, even though it’s getting a little warmer outside. I doubt we’ll all want to eat it in the dead of summer, but for now it’s nice in the mornings. I don’t mind cooking the old fashioned rolled oats; 5 minutes is not so long when your putzing around the kitchen, but I’ve found this instant “recipe” to be much easier to fix AND clean up. This stuff sort of sticks together better (for lack of a better phrase) and is easier for Natalie to eat so she spills less. I also don’t have to hand wash a pan every morning as I just heat water in the kettle and pour it over the girls’ bowls.
This recipe is great because you can really customize it to your liking. Don’t eat much oatmeal? Make a smaller batch instead. Don’t like cinnamon? Leave it out. Don’t have dry milk on hand? It will work fine without it.
Instant Oatmeal
Ingredients:
1 large canister (42oz) old fashioned oats
1 large canister (42oz) quick cooking oats
2 Tablespoons cinnamon (or more or less or none)
1 cup (or more or less or none) dry milk
1-2 cups (or more or less or none) ground flax seed (I find the seeds in the bulk bins at Kroger and I grind them in my Magic Bullet.)
Directions:
Take one cup of the old fashioned oats and one cup of the quick oats and grind it in a blender (or food processor or Magic Bullet) until it becomes powder-like. Mix the powder with the remaining ingredients well. (I have no container that will hold all of this so I do two big bowls. Half of the mixture will then fit into one oats canister.)
If you use the flax seed, you have to store this mixture in the fridge and use within a couple of months to prevent the flax seed from going rancid. It adds a nice healthy punch, but you can’t taste it. I never measure how much I put in; I just get some from the store (it’s cheap!), grind it up, and add it in.
The dry milk serves to make the finished product a bit thicker (in my opinion), but you could always just add a bit of fresh milk when you make it if you want (or leave it out all together).
To prepare, place desired amount in heat-safe bowl and add boiling water to cover. Stir and top with anything that makes you happy! I eat mine with raisins. I usually put applesauce in the girls’ bowls. I have also added chopped, frozen fruit which thaws easily in the hot oatmeal.
I’m always sad when we run out of this mix (which is pretty fast!) as it’s a very healthy, filling, and frugal breakfast.
No comments:
Post a Comment