Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mock Ice Cream–Yum!

I’ve seen a couple of recipes lately for imitation ice cream (no dairy, easy, machine-free, etc.), and they looked yummy!  So this afternoon I tried one out.  I used this recipe, but here’s another very similar one that looks promising.  I took no pictures as there were three hungry/whiney children in the kitchen with me, and I wanted to get finished before the fourth woke up.  :) 

This is what I tried today:

Ingredients
-About 1 1/3 frozen, peeled bananas (I peel and toss bananas into a freezer bag when I have too many ripe ones.)
-1 Tablespoon peanut butter
-1 teaspoon cocoa powder

Stick all the ingredients in the blender (kind of sandwich the PB and powder in-between the bananas).  I hate my blender.  Anyway… this would probably work really well in a food processor, but I don’t have one.  I will try it next time in my Magic Bullet, which tends to deal better with this kind of thing.  With the blender, I started off slowly and keep scraping down anything that went flying.  As the bananas started to puree, I upped the speed and it really started looking like soft-serve. 

The girls and Ray LOVED it.  Ray even let me feed it to him, and he never lets me feed him anything.  I liked it too, but I may tweak it when I do it again.  (Maybe more chocolate, less PB)  It’s amazing how it really doesn’t taste like pureed bananas.  :)

I saw these things somewhere online and they have them on Amazon.

Norpro 431 4-Piece Silicone Ice Pop Maker Set

I’m thinking this “ice cream” might freeze well in them for an easy ice pop.  Even though this recipe was easy, I did have to get out all the ingredients and the blender and clean up everything, and I couldn’t do it one-handed.  So any shortcuts are my kind of thing, ya know?

No comments:

Post a Comment