Joanna’s last injury had begun to fade into memory, so it was time for a little more drama. My pocketbook was apparently getting a little full as well. :)
I got a call from one of the volunteers at Tennis Camp, which of course I immediately knew was not a good thing. Joanna was walking/running to sit down against the wall for snack when she tripped over her own feet or something and fell head first into the corner of the tall, thick wooden baseboards. Lovely. Fortunately my mom was on call and at home so I stopped to pick her up on my way to the church. I had a feeling. I actually dropped my mom back off at her house so she could change and get her car. The kids and I went to the ER, fortunately at a slow time. (Thank you thank you thank you God.) I am in favor of there being some kind of special parking for people alone with three children who need to get their kid into the emergency room. :) Ha! I’m thankful for the double stroller, for sure! When my mom got there, we were already back in a room. She stayed for a few minutes then headed home with my little ones and to take care of Ray at my house. I stayed with Joanna, because no other possibility was even an option or would have occurred to me at the time. :)
I entertained myself by taking pictures.
Ew.
My mom left her ipad (wahoo!), and Joanna decided she wanted to watch Sid, the Science Kid. I had my Kindle with me but couldn’t get it to connect to the hospital wireless so I couldn’t buy my next book (which I totally would have!!) But there was plenty of miscellaneous stuff on there to read so it was cool.
We really didn’t have to wait long at all (about the length of a PBS kids’ episode, in fact). I’m very thankful.
When it was time to get down to business, they swaddled Joanna up in a sheet.
Then I blacked out for the next few minutes. Okay, not really, but I kind of wish I could have. That was rough for me. I know it was rougher for Joanna! They shot her up (like nine thousand times) with lydocaine or whatever. Oh she cried. And she asked the doctor to stop. It was awful. Awful awful. I got pretty quiet (and maybe a little pale) because the doctor asked how I was doing! Then we counted to thirty (actually, and maybe I shouldn’t admit this, but I don’t think Joanna can count to thirty), and it was time for the stitches. I know this part didn’t really hurt her, and it was so much better than the shots, but she was still pretty unhappy, you can imagine. But I sang to her and talked to her as the doctor sewed her up, and she was relatively calm. At one point I told her she was doing so good and I was so proud of her. Then the doctor said he thought the whole hospital thought she was doing good. (Proud Mommy moment!!) Even though she was pretty upset, I bet they see worse. Joanna’s always been good at going to the doctor, something I’m thankful for, for sure.
Her five stitches. Later she told my mom that she got five stitches even though she wasn’t five yet. Ha!
With the band-aid:
Showing off her hospital bracelet:
She wanted cheese sticks from Sonic for her treat, and now she’s in the playroom resting. I wouldn’t be too too surprised if she falls asleep. She was pretty whooped. Oh my poor, sweet Joanna.
Ohhh the poor baby girl. I hope she got some ice cream afterwards! :(
ReplyDeleteOh oh oh...my eyes teared up reading it because I TOTALLY would've been crying along with my child. She's so tough! Sweet thing! I hope everybody gets good rest tonight!
ReplyDeleteYep, looks almost exactly like Josh's did (at 15 mos), except maybe a teensy bit longer, and at a much more awkward angle. Josh's was straight up and down, so they were able to push it shut enough for just glue and butterfly bandages. So sorry she had to go through all that (and you, too!).
ReplyDeleteOUCH! Way to be so brave Joanna...and Mommy!
ReplyDelete