These are by far my favorite cloth diapering option. They’re so easy and so cute! They are expensive though, at around $19 a pop. The only ones I’ve used are FuzziBunz (both their “one size” and their “perfect size”) and BumGenius (both the snaps and velcro and 3.0 and 4.0). I have no desire to try another brand. I love these.
I keep mine in a drawer of the dresser/changing table.
This one’s a FuzziBunz One Size (which means it can be adjusted to theoretically fit from about 7lbs-35lbs).
They look a lot like a disposable diaper (function-wise)
They consist of an outer shell of PUL with a nice soft fleecy side for next to the bottom. You stuff it with a very absorbent microfiber insert.
Then you put the baby in and wrap ‘em up! This one snaps, and as you can see there’s room to adjust around the legs a little as well as around the tummy.
This one is a Bum Genius 3.0 with velcro closure. As you can tell, it’s taken a little beating; it’s my oldest one, and it’s been grabbed with velcro a few times in the wash. Occasionally some people around here forget to fasten the tabs before they put them in the diaper pail. I’m not naming any names though.
The snap fastening diapers look prettier after lots of washings and may hold up longer (who knows). One thing I like about the velcro closure is how extremely similar to disposables it makes them. While the snaps aren’t difficult, they’re a little more work than just pulling the velcro up and fastening it. These are the kind I send to Mother’s Day Out for Natalie.
I think I might like my FuzziBunz better than my BumGenius, but I really can’t be sure. Maybe time will tell. The FBs are a little more expensive. Right now I’m glad I have some of each!
One other diaper I have just one of is a BumGenius All-In-One, which is exactly like a pocket diaper, but the insert is sewn inside. This makes it just a little bit easier to use (don’t have to stuff/unstuff the insert), but they take a lot longer to dry since you can’t pull the insert out. They’re also sized, instead of one-size. I don’t think I’ll buy any more of these, but I like the one I have.
Some of this will be redundant from another diaper post, but oh well! After a diaper change, I take the diaper into the bathroom. If it’s just wet, I make sure the velcro tabs are secured and I dump the whole thing in the pail. If there’s poo, I dump that into the toilet, spraying if necessary, before dumping the whole thing in the diaper pail. Since we live in the house, I can’t really tell you if the diaper pail stinks as we would have gotten used to it. I don’t really think it does though. It’s important to try to wash every two days though, because that’s when the diapers will really start to stink. And you don’t want the solid stuff residue staying on the diapers longer than necessary. One thing that surprises me though is that it’s the urine that smells the worst, not the other stuff. Sorry if this is TMI!
To wash them, I dump them into the washer with any other diapers and wipes that need washing. They all get a cold rinse, followed a hot wash with 1/2 amt detergent, and one more cold rinse. Then they’re hung to dry.
so i didn't realize you'd started not unstuffing them when you put them in the wash... I tried it tonight and all but one came unstuffed by themselves!
ReplyDeleteI agree, I like the fuzzibunz and the bumgenius ones best. I'm not even using my happy heinies ones anymore... they always leak and they're hard to get fit right. And I have a hard time with the fuzzibunz leaking if he wears them for naps/bed time. never had a problem w/ the bg. I think the fb might be ok for little babies, though. b/c they're thinner and a little smaller. we'll see, I guess!
I recently ordered a flip and another kind. We'll see how they work out.