For the trip back on Monday, the flights didn’t look as great as when I was going to OKC, but there were still a smattering of seats available all day. I decided on Sunday to try and take the 8am flight because it looked like there were a couple of seats on it, and the 9:35 flight right after also had a couple of seats. At that point it would have probably been the evening before an open flight came along.
Well it seems I should have checked the flights before we left the house at 6:15am because something had happened since the night before. The 8am flight was now overbooked by 3 with 4 pass riders (me being #4). So I sat around, knowing for sure I wasn’t going on that flight! And sadly the 9:35 flight wasn’t looking that great either. I had a couple of back up plans, one being the 6:15am flight the next morning (ick!) because it’s a big plane and looked pretty wide open. My dad told me they only scheduled me for three dinners while I was there though. :) It also looked like the 6:30pm flight yesterday had quite a few open seats so I probably could have made it (but would have spent the whole day at the airport). My other back up plan was to catch a ride with Kathryn, who is driving down this week. She was planning to drive Tuesday, but agreed to bump it up a day to get me back by Tuesday morning.
I think the trip with Kathryn would have been fun, but I really wasn’t looking forward to sitting in the car for 7 or so hours. I would have preferred that to sitting at the airport though. Might as well be moving!
The 9:35 flight was delayed until about 10am for whatever reason, and I kept stalking the numbers online. There were 4 empty seats (with 3 being held, don’t know why), and 6 pass riders (#6 = me). And pass riders had actually gotten on that 8am flight, even with it being overbooked. I knew there was a chance.
When the gate agent called, “Pence,” I was very excited! He actually said that he wasn’t sure I’d make it. The flight had boarded and I think there were three seats left, but it was more a matter of cargo space. I wasn’t a super easy passenger, I guess. I had two checked bags that needed to go under the plane, one gate-check (the stroller), and a lap child. Fortunately they let me go! Whoo hoo!!
I think my sister was probably a little disappointed but she didn’t act it, which I appreciate. :) I called her while they were deciding whether to let me on and told her if she didn’t hear from me then I made it.
I had enough time to call Matt when I got on the plane to tell him I made it and have him call my mom. It was such a good feeling to be in that seat! And I had an open one next to me again!
I really didn’t need the space because Natalie fell asleep on me right after take-off and slept THE WHOLE FLIGHT! Now, it’s only like an hour, but still! I was sure impressed. And a little bored. :)
You can probably tell from these pictures that Natalie LOVED wandering around the airport. She pushed the stroller around in circles and ran around, listening to her jellies pitter patter.
Since Friday, she’s taken two naps everyday. I’m going to try to get her back on her one nap schedule. Her little body needs to make up it’s sleep by going to bed early and waking up late!
No comments:
Post a Comment