Actually I learned a few somethings.
I was looking at my checking account online and discovered a recent charge from McAfee, a company I have not ordered from in a long time. I was pretty sure what it was, though. I had a free trial of McAfee virus protection way back in probably 2005 when I bought my little Dell laptop. Usually I am very smart about these things, but I know that was a very busy time in my life; I must have slipped up. They had my debit card number. They’d probably been charging me to auto-renew that product (which I haven’t used in easily FOUR years) every year and this was the first time I caught it. (stupid, stupid, stupid) I have to let those other years go as part of my money stupidity. But I made them take this charge off. And cancel the auto-renew. Since it appears they can charge my card with the WRONG name, WRONG billing address, and WRONG expiration date. Cool. It was pretty hard to even track down my account. Here’s the information they had on me:
Name: Jessica Cooksey
Address: 5309 Creek Shadows
Phone Number: 281-359-8365
Email address: jessica.cooksey@humble.k12.tx.us
Yup. I can safely put every one of those things on the blog because not one is accurate or applicable. Every single one of those things is almost FIVE YEARS OLD. FIVE. FIVE!!
As soon as they’ve refunded the money, I will have another little chat session with them and get them to lose my credit card number if not my whole account. I couldn’t do it myself. Unfortunately my chat session closed before I could save it or write anything down (loving this crooked company more and more all the time), so I’m not exactly expecting the refund to come easily or swiftly. I have hope though. I am in shock a little bit that they can have an incorrect name, billing address, and expiration date and still manage to use my card. I guess I need to set up a little chat with the bank too.
With what you've given here a person could find every address you've ever lived at, your new last name, your new address, what you paid in taxes last year,what you paid for your house, your driver's license & all state records including name changes, marraiges, criminal records etc. But truthfully, someone motivated could have gotten that much just off your regular blog minus the old info.
ReplyDelete