Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I quit the cable company.

I think it was in the spring that we downgraded from “expanded basic cable” (i.e. all the normal channels) to “basic cable” (channels 2-23).  At the time, our cost for basic was about $10 a month – not too bad.  It almost immediately went to $27.99 because of course I had some kind of limited time secret special rate.  So, $28 is a total rip off for the basic broadcast channels and like 25 Spanish channels.  Unless maybe you speak Spanish.  Which I don’t.  Anyway, so I’ve had it on my list to figure out how to use an antenna and a converter box to get the broadcast channels for free.  We really only watch PBS and the occasional other program when it comes to “live” TV.  So Monday we got on Amazon and Consumer Reports and ordered a converter box.  (In case you’ve been living under a rock, you have to have a converter box now because all TV is broadcast digitally and if your television is more than a couple of years old, it needs the box to convert the digital signal to analog.)  So the box came in today, and we actually own an indoor “rabbit ears” type antenna, so we gave it a shot!  It’s pretty amazing that it works.  The very best channel we get is NBC, but I can get just about everything else I want, as well: PBS, CBS, ABC, FOX.  It requires a little bit of moving the antenna around, and there are wires all over my living room, so the system’s not perfect.  :)  I think we should get a rooftop antenna, and that’ll probably give us more consistent service.  Baby steps.

So I went ahead and called Suddenlink to break up with them this evening.  We also have cable internet with them, which bundled with the cable, we pay $20 a month for.  $20 is really a good price (as far as I’m aware) for high speed internet.  The only other thing close I have found is this company called Clear Wireless that appears to offer high speed in our area for $30.  So anyway, I knew Suddenlink would want to charge me more $$ for just the internet, and I figured if it was more than $30, I’d check out this other company.  I’m just not ready to give up internet.  I’m truly addicted.  :)  Yup, they wanted to charge me more alright – TWICE as much!  What?!  So of course I said (repeatedly) things like, “Well let’s keep it for now, but I’m sure I’ll be calling you back to cancel that as well since I know there are some companies in our area that offer high speed internet for less money.”  After a few minutes, she offered me the internet for $20 a month!  Yay!  Now, for all I know (because I forgot to ask) it’s one of those secret limited time special rates, but I figure I’ll jump that hurdle when/if I get there!

So now we’re watching America’s Got Talent with a very clear picture, without the services of the cable company.  Feels good.  And it’s legal.  :)

1 comment:

  1. We too are going to be quitting the cable company. It drives me crazy that we pay for these bazillion amounts of channels, and I tend to watch 3 of them. And these days I'm not watching any of them because I choose sleep (or internet) over TV. AND there are ways to get other shows you may want through your computer anyway...and my computer can then be hooked up to our TV, and we can still watch it like normal television. Oh the money we'll save...makes me happy! :)

    ReplyDelete