One of my favorite blogs to read {of people I don’t know in real life}is the Big Mama blog. She’s just so funny, and her posts are always well-read and entertaining. Sooooo… she recently wrote a book, and since she’s a Texas gal, was going to be in Katy yesterday signing books. My cousin, who also reads her blog, and I decided to drive down there to get books signed and meet her. And we did!
I didn’t take a ton of pictures {like I normally would have}, because when I turned on my camera, the battery light was blinking. Whoops!
These were the people in line in front of us – the guy who works at Books-a-Million was standing there, waiting to take anyone’s picture who wanted him to.
Christiana had sent Big Mama (her name is actually Melanie Shankle) a Facebook message earlier in the week asking how long she thought she’d be there. Christiana had a UIL competition in Dayton yesterday morning and was worried she might not make it.
When she introduced herself, Melanie jumped up and was so glad she made it. Isn’t that sweet?
I spent a few years working in a children’s bookstore, and we had many authors in for signings. Just about all of them were very sweet, but they were pretty particular about how things were done. It’s probably partly because she’s such a new author and partly because of her personality, but Melanie talked to everyone individually and gave hugs to everybody and leapt up out of her chair a million times.
Here she’s making sure she knows how to spell Christiana’s name.
Melanie’s daughter was there too, signing the books alongside her mom. It was sweet.
They’re both lefties.
The guy from Books-a-Million did a great job! Sometimes when you hand your camera to someone to take a picture, the results are less-than-desirable. Books-a-Million guy knew what he was doing! :)
It was a fun little road trip {it’s a whole hour over there you know}. I’m glad we went! I started reading the book last night, and it’s very good. It’s the kind of thing I could finish pretty fast, but I’m going to try and savor it a bit. :)
yay lefties!! :)
ReplyDelete