Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine’s Day

I don’t think there’s anything wrong in the universe with a day devoted to showing people you love them!  Do I believe you should do that every day?  Yup.  But I’ve got no problems with having one day where everything’s pink and heart-shaped.  :)

It makes me sad when people are so down on Valentine’s day because it’s become so commercialized.  I mean, c’mon!  All the holidays are commercialized!  I celebrate Christmas, but I skip the Santa/Rudolph/gotta-get-a-present-for-everyone-ness of it all.  And I think I can enjoy Valentine’s day without feeling like I’m buying into some horrible American “fake” holiday.  The origins of Valentine’s day are nice… and not created by Hallmark.  :)

Aaaaaaannnnnnddddd… rant over.

I dressed everyone with a little red on Thursday and actually managed to get them outside for a picture before dropping Joanna off at school.  {It was a holiday miracle!}

IMG_1214 2

Previously in the week we decided to make heart-shaped crayons for the girls to give their friends at school.  {I guess it does bother me a bit that the kids are pretty much required to bring in valentines for their classmates; it doesn’t really feel like an option.}

IMG_1077

In a perfect world, I might have helped the girls make hand-made cards for all of their classmates.  As it was, they had enough trouble just signing their names!

IMG_1181

But Joanna did a good job writing her name 19 times…

IMG_1189

Natalie just had 12 to do.  And I wrote “love” for her.

IMG_1190

Voila!  I found the printable online and stuck the heart on with masking tape.  The girls said their friends liked them – yay!  And one less piece of candy in the bag!

IMG_1187

My momma took me to lunch on Valentine’s day – yuuuuuum!

IMG_1224

For dinner I wanted to be sort of “festive” with the meal, so I opted for breakfast, since I thought I could incorporate some heart shapes in there.

I used my heart cookie-cutter to cut the insides out of bread for egg-in-a-hole.

IMG_1226

I attempted heart-shaped bacon.  {I was less than successful, but it was still fun.}

IMG_1227IMG_1228

The egg-bread turned out great!

IMG_1231

The bacon ended up looking more like a little flower, but that still works!  I served up a pink smoothie to top it off.  A very yummy dinner!

IMG_1234

No comments:

Post a Comment