Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Photo Printing Test

So I got this idea last week that I wanted to compare different places (locally and online) to print my pictures to see where I should be printing.  I’d seen a few tests like this online but none of them used my local labs and my photos, so I had to try for myself.  I chose five photos I’d taken that I thought were pretty different from each other but that I liked (I was going to end up with multiple copies of them!), and I uploaded them to five different labs.  I asked on Facebook for some recommendations, and I took those under advisement.  :)

I’ll go ahead and write up some of the details here about the ordering process, then go into each individual picture, then sum up about the whole thing at the end.  (All that to say, you can read the first bit and the last bit if you’re pressed for time.)  :)

1. Mpix: Just about everywhere I read, I see Mpix recommended. Pros recommend them for consumers. (If you’re a pro, you use a pro lab.)
Location: online (well…Kansas)
Price: $0.29/4x6 and $0.59 for “true” black and white paper; $3.95 shipping – not sure if that’s a flat rate (if so, it’s a pretty good deal if you’re going to order a bunch) Total was $5.70 for the 5 prints
Ordering process: easy online ordering.
Processing time: The website says 5-10 business days, but it shipped the next day and arrived at my house the day after that – what?!
Other notes: Their interface had an option to turn off color correction. I thought I’d left it on, but my invoice says “color correction none” so I can’t be sure. {Real technical and specific this experiment, huh?} 
Paper: Matte finish; color pics on Kodak professional paper, the black and white paper didn’t say anything on the back

2. Snapfish: I’ve ordered things here before; sometimes I have them printed locally (like Target or something, and I can pick them up and not pay shipping.)  We printed our Christmas cards with Snapfish online and I was pleased, so I included them in this experiment.
Location: online (California, I think) 
Price: $0.09/4x6 plus $0.99 shipping; Total cost $1.56 for 5 prints
Ordering process: easy online ordering.
Processing time: The website says 3-5 business days.  They shipped the next day (Tuesday) but didn’t arrive until Monday, so I’d say that’s a shipping fail.  The tracking number never did work either so I had no idea when or if I’d see them.  :)
Other notes: Option to auto correct redeye and color which I did not do. 
Paper: Option for glossy or matte; I chose matte.  Printed on Kodak paper

3/4. Walgreens: I almost always print pictures at the Walgreens at Northpark and Woodland Hills, but a friend said she really liked the one on W. Lake Houston Parkway, so I thought I’d do them both!
Location: Every street corner in Kingwood :)
Price: $0.19/4x6; total was $1.03 for 5 prints
Ordering process: really really easy online ordering.
Processing time: Should be about an hour; I almost always find it’s less
Other notes: This is typically where I go to have prints made because I’m addicted to instant gratification, and they’re very fast. And almost always have excellent sales and specials. 
Paper: only option is glossy finish.  Fuji paper

5. Kingwood Photo Lab:  They’ve been around close to 30 years I think and came highly recommended by several friends.
Location: Kingwood Dr. and W. Lake Houston Pkwy (ish)
Price: The price goes down the more you order, but I really just wanted to order 5.  So they were $0.49 each BUT there was a minimum $5 order.  That seriously annoys me, but I really wanted to include them in the experiment so I ordered a 5x7 I was going to order from somewhere eventually anyway. Total was $5.89 for the 5 prints and 1 5x7.
Ordering process: pretty easy online ordering.  Not quite as user-friendly as the big chains
Processing time: ‘bout an hour
Other notes: You pay online via Paypal, but somehow I got “stuck” between Paypal and the photo store, so Paypal charged me but the pics didn’t quite get sent to the store.  Their online stuff is “powered by LifePics” and it was SUPER easy to do a live chat with them and fix the problem.  The people in the store are very nice as well. 
Paper: Option for glossy or matte.  I chose matte, but the paper is glossier than matte and mattier than glossy.  Got it?  It’s a Kodak lab, so I’m assuming Kodak paper, but it doesn’t say on the back.

6. Sams Club: I’ve never printed here but I think I must have read about it online somewhere to give me the idea that these big club stores might have a good photo lab. You have to have a membership number to order but not to pick up. So I used my mom’s number. :)
Location: Humble, so not the most convenient
Price: $0.13/4x6 but I was a new customer so my first 25 prints were free. Would have been $0.65 plus tax for the 5 prints
Ordering process: easy online ordering; they email you when they’re done (Well, all the stores do this.)
Processing time: ‘bout an hour
Other notes: There’s an option to turn on or off “color correction.” I’m pretty sure I turned it off, but it appears I didn’t write that down so I can’t say for sure. That’s another experiment in and of itself. :) 
Paper: Matte finish (can’t remember if there was a choice); Fuji paper

Whew!  If you are still here with me, may I encourage you to get a drink of water or a piece of pie before you continue?

To compare the pictures side by side, I scanned the prints into my computer.  SO… they really don’t look exactly like this in person, but you can definitely get an idea of the differences. Don’t pay attention to the crop in the collage; it is not accurate.  Also don’t pay attention to the fuzz/lint/1970’s feel to the photos.  That’s the scanner, not the print.  If you are interested in comparing the actual prints, you may come over; I like company. :)  For each set I put the pictures in the same order.  The “original” digital image is the large one at the top.  If you click on the collage, it will get bigger.  In very tiny letters, I put the lab name in the lower right hand corner of each image. After each collage, I’m going to write the notes I scribbled into my notebook just as they are, while I was looking at the actual prints in natural light.  I will bold what ended up being my ultimate favorite.

{Can you BELIEVE how much time I’m spending on this?!!}

Even more typing: I in no way shape or form have tried to calibrate my monitor or anything so that what I see when I look at and edit pictures is what will eventually be on paper.  I have ridiculously so much to learn about that (and all!) sides of photography.  :)

Digital File

Notes on the original: This project made me realize even more that I tend to shoot “cool.”  I did not edit this photo at all; it’s straight out of the camera.  The blanket she’s laying on is white in real life but it looks blue.  I like the picture a lot – the glint in her eye, the slight flush to her cheeks, the pretty pink lips. 

Natalie

In my notes, I call this picture “Natalie.”
Mpix: blue, but not overpowering, pretty colors, good detail
Snapfish: something is missing – ? Kinda green; lips too salmony
Walgreens NP: Kinda faded and purpley but pretty – feel is good
Walgreens WLH: ditto but darker, good
Kingwood Photo Lab: Very blue but closest to orig I think
Sams: Too red, ruddy

0digital file

Notes on the original: I edited this with a black and white action.  I love it.

Natalie bw

In my notes, I call this picture “Natalie BW.”
Mpix: good detail
Snapfish: color is bad – too warm?  Good detail
Walgreens NP: dark but I like the contrast, loss of detail (hair), washed out
Walgreens WLH: similar to above but less washed out (actually almost my fav)
Kingwood Photo Lab: seems kind of red? not great detail
Sams: dark but good contrast, not much detail

0digital file

Notes on the original: This one is cool as well.  I love the colors in it and of course their sweet faces. And James’ hand on his sister’s!

children

In my notes, I call this picture “Children.”
Mpix: so brown -- icky
Snapfish: grainy, color is weird
Walgreens NP: fine, kinda green
Walgreens WLH: pretty good
Kingwood Photo Lab: colors are good but grainy
Sams: warm and pretty 

0digital copy

Notes on the original:  This is the current best picture of the five Pences together, but it’s really a bad image.  It’s grainy, not everyone is in focus.  It’s dark.  BUT we’re all looking at the camera!  So that’s why I included it.  :)

Christmas

In my notes, I call this picture “Christmas.”
Mpix: excellent detail but brown cast to photo
Snapfish: dark, girls are not sharp
Walgreens NP: brown too? no detail in shadows
Walgreens WLH: very similar to above
Kingwood Photo Lab: bright but blurry, too “digital” looking (stockings in background)
Sams: good detail and colors 

0digital image

Notes on the original: I didn’t think about it before, but this is the only one I had no part in the taking of.  Even the Christmas one I did all the set up and pushed the button on the tripod.  Matt took this one, so it was probably set on Auto.  All the others would have been shot on Manual mode.

mom and kiddos

In my notes, I call this picture “Mom and kiddos.”
Mpix: yucky color, especially skin; detail good
Snapfish: red, bit blurry
Walgreens NP: I like it
Walgreens WLH: I like it
Kingwood Photo Lab: little grainy, pretty good color
Sams: very warm but I like it

Overall conclusions:

  • Like I mentioned, I tend to shoot cool (which I like).  That said, my favorite for all of the group shots was Sams (what?!).  I think this is because their processing really warms up the image and it just seems pretty balanced to me.
  • I do not have a good eye when it comes to this kind of thing.  I’m trying very hard to be critical in a photog kind of way but I’m not sure I have it in me.  :)
  • For the close-up portraits of Natalie, Mpix was my favorite, but in the group shots, I thought they all looked brown and nasty.  I feel like this is something I could fix on my end (?) because I thought the detail was good in these prints.
  • I was sort of assuming I would find the Walgreens prints to be lacking, but that was really not the case.  They were pretty much neither my favorite nor my least favorite.  I think they were lacking the detail of some of the other labs, and maybe it’s just what I am used to, but it didn’t bother me a ton.  I much prefer a matte finish though.
  • I could tell a difference between the two Walgreens, but it was subtle.  I think the WLH location had a bit better color and contrast than the NP location. 
  • I think when it comes to every day snapshots, I will likely use Sams, especially if I know I’m headed into Humble anyway.  For portraits (especially larger) that are going to hang on the wall, I want to see if I can make Mpix work for me.  The detail truly was excellent, and for the Natalie pics, they were the best overall.  The price was high but manageable, and especially for something that will hang on the wall for years, totally worth it.
  • I welcome your opinions in the comments section… IF they are constructive and not rude.  Not that any of the seven people who read my blog would be rude.  Are any of you even still here?

Thanks for letting me ramble.  It was fun.

7 comments:

  1. Hey, Jess! This was really helpful! Thanks for the intel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Sam's too, even Natalie's, but I'm a warm girl. I can't tell the details on your blog. Thanks for all the great info!! So I'm guessing the matte finish at Sam's was a true matte? The Walmart one is the in-between.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just had pictures done here of the girls in a mini Valentine shoot. The photographer suggested we use Mpix. I was impressed with their website, and some other different and neat photo gifts to choose from as well. I've always ordered from Walgreens because, like you, I want it asap. But I was never totally impressed with their coloring. I always felt they darkened my pictures. I did like all the Sam's pictures you got, but like you said "it warmed up the pictures." I want a photo lab that will stay true to color of what my image looks like on the screen. I don't feel like Sam's did that. Do you? It added hues that I don't feel like were in the original. The pictures still looked great--but I'm thinking about when I create images (invitations and stuff), that the color is gonna be different than what I actually created and look at on my screen. Thoughts on that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure it's that Walgreens darkened the pictures so much as the detail and contrast are missing, which I guess could be because they are darker? I felt like the color was actually pretty good, as far as being aesthetically pleasing. I thought the Mpix prints of the close-ups were excellent and pretty true to the original. That said, I thought the group shots looked brown. I don't think the originals looked brown, but maybe there is something I could do with the originals to get them to come out not brown? I didn't test anything that had color or text on it (like an invite) so I can't say how the labs would process that (another whole experiment!). I think you should come to Houston so you can look at my prints. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Amy you should definitely come to Houston to look at Jessica's prints!!!! And bring Abby too because my Anna keeps asking when we canny have a playdate with her again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha! I'm just seeing this. I should definitely make a run to Houston to see those prints in person :) Maybe sometime this summer I should come that way--I know Abby would enjoy it, and I'm dying to see Josie and James together. They are at such a cute, fun age! Thanks for your thoughts about the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete