Thursday, September 4, 2008

Cool and refreshing... and not so much.

I woke up this morning to two surprises, one pleasant, the other very unpleasant. Our A/C (really just the fan) had run ALL night, and it was 77 degrees inside. Turns out the outside unit (compressor?) was not running at all, so no cold air was blowing. This has happened a couple of times recently, but it's come back on within a few hours. Not so this time. It was 79 when Joanna and I left the house at 9am. I was shocked to open the front door and find that it was COOLER outside -- quite refreshing even. I guess I owe my house not being at 83 already to that little cool snap. Fortunately we had some business to take care of this morning, so we've been out of the house. We're back home now for a nap; it's actually not too bad under the ceiling fans. I think Miss Joanna has just fallen asleep (phew!) -- I'll get to why that's so great in a moment.
So this morning we had "meet and greet" the teachers at Mother's Day Out. Joanna is in a new class this year -- the toddlers. She's actually not the youngest this time, I found out. Last year I was a nervous wreck leaving her for one measley day; this year I'm excited for her to go TWO days! She LOVES "school." Whenever I drop her off for nursery, it's like she's saying, "Bye, mom -- shooo, I'm good." Usually someone has to bring her to me when I pick up -- she's not ready to stop what she's doing. Now, she's ALWAYS happy to see me, and I know she loves me best, but I am so glad that she really seems to enjoy being in the classroom. Her class is bigger this year, but I can't remember how many kiddos exactly. They'll all be sleeping on mats on the floor instead of cribs -- I can't wait to see it! I wanted to get Joanna an official "Nap Mat," but I'd been having trouble finding ones that weren't like a zillion dollars. I mean, c'mon, it's not a bed. I just wanted something padded with a cover I could take off and wash. I'd seen a couple of "All in One" deals with the mat, pillow, and blanket all connected and all washable. Okay, good in theory, but all the ones I'd seen were ugly (okay, I can deal with ugly), polyester (can't deal with polyester), and not very soft (hello, they're sleeping on the floor.) So, even though they were affordable, I didn't bite. Instead I hunted and found something I really like! I'd seen those red/blue vinyl nap mats at stores and also online, but I wanted something to cover up the vinyl. I can't imagine it's very comfy to sleep on. I know how Joanna moves when she's settling down to sleep, so I knew just throwing a blanket over it wouldn't work. I considered sewing a slipcover for it, but then I remembered that I can't sew and I don't have a sewing machine. :) So I found a website that sells fancy zillion dollar nap mats, but discovered they also sell inexpensive, cotton covers for the "kinder mats." Yea! Our mat came yesterday, and Joanna is already in love with it. She tried to take it with us today. I wonder if she knew we were going to school? Wow, I just looked back at this paragraph -- thank you for staying with me; I am quite a rambler recently.
After our meet and greet (which went fabulously; Joanna is clearly the best student in the class), we went to Babies R Us for some necessities and unmentionables. Then we decided to stop at McDonalds for some lunch in the A/C. Our McDonalds is so nice -- it almost looks like a restaurant inside! Joanna ate really well. That is, after she woke up! Somewhere between Babies R Us and McDs, she fell asleep, and I didn't notice until it was too late to wake her up with, "Hey Joanna, do you want Mommy's phone?" I got her out of the car, visited the ladies room (if you're a mom, you know how I did this), and ordered lunch while she SLEPT ON MY SHOULDER. This is unprecidented. I was thinking, "Who is this kid?" until I layed her down on a booth bench and she woke up. Classic Joanna. So that's why I'm so excited she's down for a real nap.
Well, I'm starting to glisten a little; I think I'll go lay under the fan, and maybe study the inside of my eyelids.

No comments:

Post a Comment