Saturday, September 6, 2008

Painting Pics so far

Here is a photo journey of the mural process thus far. It's actually been several days since I did anything to it; I need to get moving!
These are the boxes drawn to scale on grid paper. I went through my paints and discovered what was junk and what I could use. I actually took this to Michaels with me to get my additional paint. I know, I'm really cool.
First step: A LOT of tape. I taped my grid, then taped one inch inside each rectangle. We discovered that one of Joanna's walls isn't level. This made it a little harder. Unfortunately none of this is something I can do while Joanna is sleeping. Fortunately, she has been really helpful! I've done most of my painting while she's having bath with Daddy. The paint dries in about 30 minutes, so it's easy to keep her out of the room for that long. I just can't keep her out while I'm in there and Matt's not home -- it's just cruel!
Anyway, so we used measuring tape, a laser level, and a pencil to create this lovely design.
After one coat of brown paint
After two coats. One coat just didn't seem smooth enough, I guess.
Peeling tape is much more fun than putting it up.
Before touch-ups
After touch-ups. I think you have to have Superman vision to see the difference in those two pictures.
That's where I still am today. My mom is going to help me 3-dimensionalize the frames. Continental keeps making her work, though! And she's going on vacation next week. I'm on my own for a while. I can start painting the insides before we finish the frames, though, so my goal is to get one or two pictures done this next week. Hopefully I will exceed my goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment