Friday, February 26, 2010

Baking Day

So playday turned into Baking Day, and I guess that's okay with me.  The girls really were delightful all day -- entertaining themselves a lot.  I didn't take any pictures, even though I thought about it a couple of times.  I do have some pictures to share of random recent things but neither my camera cord nor my camera are within reach.  And I am TIRED!  I even made Matt go take care of Didi (with Joanna!) after he put Natalie to bed.  I know -- I'm a bad wife, but I have a really wonderful husband.
I joked on Facebook today that I spent the day barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.  It's true, though!  Ha!
I "made" another loaf of bread in the bread machine.  I haven't tasted it, but it looks great!
I also made a batch of teething biscuits.  The recipe is in the kitchen, but let's see if I remember it.  It's from Wondertime magazine.
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 T applesauce
Mix all ingredients with a wooden spoon.  Turn out onto a floured surface once the dough comes together.  Knead until smooth.  Roll out with a rolling pin until 1/3 inch thick.  Cut out using an inverted drinking cup, then a soda cap for a hole inside (think donut shape).  Transfer to a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 300 degrees until just browned, about 35 minutes.
I used 1 cup each of the flours instead of how the recipe is written, and I think that was fine.  If I do this again, I may make "sticks" instead of a donut shape; it'll be a lot easier and just as good for Natalie.  She loves 'em.  I made some pretty big, using a regular drinking glass, but I think they're really too big.  I made a few with a juice glass, and I think they're a better size.  They are super tough, but that's the idea with teething biscuits.  Natalie worked for a while to eat them; she knew just how to gum them, little genius baby.  I think they're pretty sweet, so I could probably cut the amount of maple syrup, but I'd have to replace it with some kind of liquid.  1/2 cup of maple syrup is pretty expensive.  Even so, it's probably cheaper and much healthier than some of the packaged varieties out there.

I also made another (almost double) batch of the popcorn chicken to freeze. 
And I made chicken and veggies for dinner.
I pretty much kept up with the dishes until dinnertime.  Now my kitchen is pretty disgusting, but I just can't get the energy to do anything about it!

2 comments: