I ordered some more diapers for Miss Natalie from Green Mountain Diapers last weekend. Basically I ordered them to get used to them and see if I like them before I get some for Little Man. These new diapers are real live cloth prefold diapers, just available in different sizes. I got a couple mediums and a few larges (“red” and “brown”) for Natalie since she was on the cusp of the size ranges. They both fit fine. The browns will fit longer. I washed and dried (times 3) them when they came in to get them ready for use. They fluffed up very nicely. In fact, I can’t imagine trying to use a big one on a tiny baby, all folded down. That’s just too much material. Anyway, I also got a couple of covers to use over the diapers. The covers are sized as well. If you add up the cost of one cover and one diaper, it’s a few dollars cheaper than the pocket diaper, which is nice. It’s a little cheaper even when you take into account the ability to use the covers more than once between washings. The diaper holds all the stuff, the cover stays pretty clean… most of the time anyway. So, you don’t need as many covers as you do diapers. The covers are just plastic (PUL I think), so they dry very fast as well.
I need to take some pictures of the whole process, but I haven’t yet.
This is Natalie’s “cheese” face while eating toast:
The “glassy-eyed” Sesame Street look:
And a close-up of one of the covers:
So far…
The pros: Cost, 100% cotton, basically easy to use, cute, future use as burp cloths
The cons: much harder to get the poo out into the toilet; needs to be changed more frequently than the pocket diapers or disposables; would be very hard to use out and about
I definitely want to get a diaper sprayer (think sink sprayer attached to the toilet), which will make getting the poo off much easier. It’s not as much of an issue with the pocket diapers; the poo just doesn’t stick to the synthetic fibers as badly.
I definitely want to have stash of pocket diapers to use when we leave the house, but these work just fine for when we’re going to be around the house for a while. I can definitely see how these will work nicely for my newborn (well, the newborn size of these), and even though they’ll have a short usability period (size wise), I think it will be worth it. Newborns go through a ton of diapers, and I love the idea of not throwing away so many disposables. I will have to see when the time comes as to what the cost ends up working out like. I’m sure I’ll need easily 2 dozen diapers, maybe more, but probably only 6-8 covers. As Little Man gets bigger and has more meat on his bones, I’ll want to invest in more pockets I think, over the prefolds. Having two in diapers is a lot of work, as I remember. :)
I love that there are many options!
Done with diaper rambling now, on to cute little girl pictures!
My mom took us out to one of our favorite lunch spots, Cafe East, yesterday.
We love eating at the Chinese buffet, and the girls both eat for only $1.25 total. I think it’s pretty funny that that’s how much Joanna costs and Natalie still eats free. Who do you suppose eats more?
Today we had to finish up work (stinkin’ copy machine) and run a few errands, but we managed to make it to play day for a little while.
I think Natalie has a little crush on Aidan. She watched him play with this Thomas book for the longest time!
Then, this evening, we got Aidan’s thank you note in the mail from his birthday (with his picture on it) and she stole it! Don’t anybody tell Logan. :)
This is a terrible picture, but Natalie LOVES these Dutch clogs that the Vandenberges have. They fit her perfectly right now, as well.
We had “semi-homemade” pizza tonight, and it was so yummy! This one looked so beautiful, but I forgot to take a picture of it before I cut it. Oh well.
It’s just semi-homemade because we used a mix for the crust and BBQ sauce. It also has some leftover chicken on it and mozzarella. We made one with pizza sauce as well. I think the girls may have liked it better, but I liked the BBQ chicken pizza best.
We just put Natalie down for the evening, and I sent Matt and Joanna to the store for chocolate ice cream (among other things). :)
Now I think I’ll go get some poo off of a diaper.
If I don't remember to bring you those clogs, just take them next time you are here. They don't get played with much and would probably like to have a little adventure!
ReplyDelete