Sunday, December 23, 2012

They Say Funny Things (And then an unintentional soapbox rant from me)

I was fussing at Joanna yesterday for being disobedient (and then breaking something). She was mad and said “I’m telling your momma!”

I posted a couple of things on FB that the children said that were funny, so I thought I’d put them here too, for posterity.

James: I got some cheese!
Me: You're a lucky boy.
James: I not a yucky boy!

Natalie: Then one foggy Christmas eve, Santa came to say "Rudolph, is your nose alright? Won't you guide my slave tonight?"

We try to limit the Santa/Rudolph/Elves part of Christmas as much as possible around here.  I just really really feel that’s not where the focus should be in our home.  {It’s not where it should be at church and school too, but did I mention I try not to complain about things I’m not willing to step-up and fix?}  Anyway, those traditions/elements leak through because it comes from everywhere else (like the Rudolph song, which Natalie did not learn from me), and I think I don’t need to keep my children from society.  Joanna especially is at an age where believing in Santa is just fun.  And honestly, from the conversations that we’ve had, it’s easier for her to believe he’s real than not to.  Does that make sense?  The make-believe of it and also that every single adult she meets talks about it, means that myth just integrates very easily into her belief system.  And basically, I’m okay with that.  :)  Once she {they} starts to question it though, I’ll jump right on that!  I’ve done plenty of reading about it, and I read about one family (who doesn’t do Santa at all) that tells their children (not sure what age here) that Santa is a game that grown-ups like to play.  By doing this, they keep their children from spilling it to other children.  I don’t think Joanna is there yet.  Really, I don’t think she’d believe me if I told her he isn’t real!  That said, that’s pretty much what we did with the Elf of the Shelf this year.  {My, oh my is that thing EVERYWHERE!}  The girls’ classes both have one, and I was very blunt with Joanna that he wasn’t real.  We weren’t going to have one at our house.  And yes, you still get presents even if you’re rotten awful.  She isn’t scarred for life.  She gets it.  It’s a game that Mrs. M plays.  And… it’s fun.  :)

{I didn’t really intend for this post to turn into my soapbox about Santa at Christmas, but… it did!}

I probably had it more on the brain today because Jim spoke somewhat on this in his sermon today.  I won’t phrase it quite right I’m sure, but I liked what he had to say and how he said it.  He said something like our culture has contaminated Christmas for Christians.  One example he gave was how the preschool kids came over to sing for a daytime service this week and sang Jingle Bells.  I can’t be sure, but I think most people aren’t purposefully contaminating Christmas.  Like the wonderful teachers at the preschool.  I really don’t think they’re thinking – let’s see how much we can commercialize and mainstream Christmas for these kids!  Those songs are easy to sing.  {I’m thinking next year I might need to offer my services in a workshop on easy to sing baby Jesus songs!}  The reindeer, elf, and Santa crafts are easy to come by and easy to do. 

I’m not sure why this is all bothering me so much.  But it is.  And if you’ve managed to read until this point in the post, God bless you.  I know I shouldn’t stress about this so much.

It really is fun around here!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment