Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Painting Begins

Last weekend Joanna and I headed to the paint store to try and pick out some colors for their room. I brought all three of the kids’ quilts with me as inspiration. I don’t need anything in the quilts to match the color necessarily, but I want them to “go,” especially the one my mom made. I can’t believe I didn’t get any pictures of our adventure, but… I didn’t. :) I was pretty much looking at yellows and blues. I brought a card of yellow home, but I just don’t think I’m going to be happy with yellow. It’s just not a color I’m super attracted to. None of us look good in yellow, and I think I would get tired of it sooner rather than later. I also brought home a couple of blue cards, one I liked a lot.

So tonight we all went and picked up a sample can of “Honest Blue” from Sherwin Williams. (A side note: it felt SO GOOD in that store this evening. They were cleaning the floors so fans were on and it felt like the A/C was really cooking. Ahhhh…) Anyway, then we went to Lowe’s (where it was decidedly too warm) to try and find some low or no VOC primer. They actually had some no VOC primer, but sadly we had to by a gallon instead of a quart. I guess this stuff isn’t in high demand yet. So if anybody needs a little primer for a project, I'm your man! We also got a roller nap (made from recycled fibers!) because I was pretty sure we didn’t still have any.

When I get it in my head to do something, I pretty much like to start right now, instead of waiting around until a probably more convenient time. :) So when we got home, I sent Matt into the kitchen to warm up leftovers while I picked up the playroom and moved Joanna’s bed in there. There was already a pack-n-play in there for Natalie.

Then I prepped the girls’ room. I taped a little (cause even though it’s only a little primer and a little sample paint, I know me.) I also went ahead and took stuff off the walls, took off the face plates, and spackled some holes. I didn’t really want to open any paint until the girls were down, so I busied myself with prep work that’ll need to be done anyway.

And we said good-bye to the boxes.

P6162520

A close-up of where the toddler bed used to be. Isn’t that disgusting?!

P6162518

Okay, first glimpse of the blue:

P6162525

I really have no idea why it’s that shape. :) It kind of looks like a little rain cloud from a cartoon.

P6162527

I tried to put some up at Matt’s eye-level too.

P6162530

Matt suggested I should paint all the way over to the window so I could see what it looked like next to the green.

P6162532

From across the room. I also put Natalie’s quilt and a panel like Joanna’s quilt in the picture.

P6162533

I’m actually not sure whether I like it or not. I mean, I like it, but it may be too dark. Dark may not be the right word. I’m excited to see it in the daylight tomorrow. I’m also a little worried it’s about the exact same color as our master bathroom, which I’m tired of. The little paint chippy thing is greyer. This is pretty bright still. But I just checked, and it’s not as bright at the master bath or as… icky. I also held the quilts up to the painted wall and I like how they go together.

Only time will tell, I think! And I can always get another color to try. What I really want are some people to come over and tell me what they think of my raincloud. Is it a keeper?

Tomorrow I’ll do another coat of the primer (hopefully the last). Those brown boxes are pesky. :)

And if you’re in the area, stop by and see the blue on the wall! You can pick up some toys and unload the dishwasher while you’re here.

1 comment:

  1. OK, i really like that blue... it actually looks a lot like what we're painting over in Josh's room, but the reason we're painting over it isn't b/c i dislike the color, it just doesn't go really well with the navy quilts i bought. And I like the way it goes w/ the green... I think it's really pretty! But I DO like brighter colors, so I may or may not be the best judge. I have to say, though, I'm not sure i think it goes w/ natalie's quilt, but i can't see the whole thing in the pic, and that's just my opinion...
    I totally need to post pics of our paint samples too! Though they're almost exactly the same color... I can tell the difference, but AJ can't too much. And we had the boys in there while painting it, and even had the door drift almost closed, and it didn't smell paint fumey at all! I'm happy about that! Probably be different when we actually paint the whole room, but for the samples it was fine!
    Good luck w/ your project!!

    ReplyDelete