Friday, June 4, 2010

It’s not that easy being green…

But it sure is fun to try!

I took a little plunge into cloth diapering this week.  A pretty good deal at diapers.com combined with a little wiggle room in the grocery budget allowed me to purchase two pocket diapers.

P6032393

They came yesterday and I was so excited!  I ordered one Fuzzi Bunz and one Bum Genius in neutralish colors.  The bumgenius is a one size, meaning it could actually fit an 8 pound newborn and a 35 pound potty trainer.  I may just have to see that to believe it.  :)  The Fuzzi Bunz is a medium, which fits about 15-30lbs I think (although the company does make a one-size).  These brands both get excellent reviews by the cloth diapering community, although people often prefer one or the other (or a different brand).  But all pocket diapers are pretty similar, I think.  I ordered one of each of these brands to see if I preferred one over the other before I made a huge investment in a stash of diapers.  These are not cheap.  At Amazon (often the best price around) they run $18 or $19… each.  So it will take a while before they start to save us money.

P6032394

I forgot to take pictures of what they look like inside, and now they’re dirty so I’m not going to.  :)  They’re called pocket diapers because they have a pocket that you slip an absorbent liner into.  The outside of the diaper is water proof so even if something gets past the liner it won’t end up on the couch.

P6042398

I’ve only used them one day but I’m in love.  :)  Natalie doesn’t seem to have any issues with them.  They’re so cute and soft!  They are more bulky than disposables, but since she’s always in a dress, that’s not really an issue right now.  If I can manage to build up a nice stash, I really see myself using them.  We’ll still use disposables at church and we’ll see about days that we’re running around.  I haven’t really tackled the laundry yet, but it doesn’t seem too daunting. 

Now, I’m a little embarrassed to say it, but I only changed Natalie’s diaper twice today.  So these two cloth diapers are all she wore.  No leaks.  These are way better than the gdiapers I’ve used before.  I think I’ll still use some of those, but more as backups for these (like when I’m behind on laundry) and with a washable liner versus the flushable ones.  I think I can even use a prefold in it (read: your momma’s cloth diaper).  I’m going to try anyway.  So I put the BumGenius on Natalie when she woke up this morning, and she wore it until after lunch.  She had poop, which fortunately went easily into the toilet, and it was very full, but there was no wetness on her or her clothes.  I then put her in the FuzziBunz (which I didn’t get pictures of), and she had a nap and wore it through dinner.  Again, pretty full but no leaks. 

P6042400

My other recent green adventure (which is sort of related to the cloth diapering) is homemade laundry soap.  I, like my friend Shaun, used the recipe from the Duggars website.

Here are the ingredients, plus water.  They’re all available at Alspaugh’s, FYI, which is nice, and local.

P6042408

First you grate the Fels-Naptha bar of soap.  Most recipes call for this, although I’ve seen that you can use ivory or kirk’s castille soap.  I’ve actually got a bar of the kirk’s, but I opted for the Fels-Naptha.  I think the kirk’s may be more friendly for sensitive skin (or I could be making that up), but we don’t have too much of that around here.

Anyway, I grated about 2/3s of the bar then turned it over to my husband.  I’m a weenie! 

P6042409 

Looks like cheese, doesn’t it?

P6042412

Then you add it to hot water and stir until melted.  This took longer than I thought.  I was a little bored.  I ate M&Ms.

P6042413

Then you fill a 5 gallon bucket halfway with hot water.

P6042411

And you add the melted fels naptha, 1 cup of Arm and Hammer super washing soda and 1/2 cup of Borax.  I had the Borax, but I had to go buy the washing soda.  Turns out I also had the bucket, but I needed a lid.  So it was nice not to have to invest in all these things at once.  Although they’re weren’t pricey.

Stir until everything is dissolved.

P6042414  P6042415

Then fill it the rest of the way with hot water.

P6042418

Now I just have to wait overnight for it to thicken.  I think I’ll sleep while I wait.

I’ve been thinking about making the laundry soap for a while.  The reason I went ahead and did it is for the cloth diapers.  I think this is going to be good stuff to wash them in.  You’re supposed to be careful not to use detergents with additives or brighteners in them.  Like I can even read the language printed on the back of detergent bottles!  Actually I use a “free and clear” detergent that would probably be fine.

This was fun though.  :)  And as you can see by the pink dress in most of the pictures, I had help.

And if my kitchen looks dirty in any of these pictures, I have no idea what you’re talking about and I blame my camera.

And on an unrelated note, I’m really feeling Baby Brother bounce around right now!

4 comments:

  1. But can you use it in High Efficiency laundry machines?? It's crossed my mind once or twice, but i'm pretty sure this would mess up my washer.

    On the diapers...my neighbor got a lot of bum genius diapers (apparently everyone she knows likes them better than the fuzzibunz or whatever they are...she told me NOT to use those!) at her baby shower. So if ppl are asking what to get you, what you need...well, i know you'll need clothes, but you can always get handmedowns or sale stuff, but those diapers are NEVER gonna be cheap...so maybe ask for or register for those if ppl ask what you need/want! Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read that you can use it in HE machines (but mine's not so I can't tell you from experience). You use less or something? There's a bunch of info out there about it.
    And I've definitely thought about asking for the diapers for Baby Brother's shower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kathy, you use the powdered version for HE. It's like one recipe up or down on the Duggar site. Not that I have an HE washer so this is entirely heresay. It is entirely possible that I may give lavendar scented laundry soap,homemade vanilla and the $1.99 fajita grill pans I stocked up on at HEB for Christmas this year. Which would end up being like, um, $5 per gift set?? Woo hoo. I am the Queen of cheapness, or maybe Jess is queen and I am loyal handmaiden... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! I have been making and using that same recipe for laundry detergent for several months now.

    Feel very "Green" with you guys! :) (At least about that!)

    ReplyDelete