Sunday afternoon I was really starting to feel human again, so Kathryn, Natalie, and I dropped Matt and Joanna off at the hotel for some exploring. We wanted to hit some of our old haunts from when we lived in Midwest City as kids. Thankfully, Renee offered us her iphone to take along. Those things are AMAZING!! We used the maps feature combined with some info from my dad and my sister's incredible sense of direction and memory (especially considering she hasn't lived in Midwest City since she was, oh 5 years old). She's refamiliar with the area now as an adult, but nonetheless amazing in her directional ability.
We started at my elementary school! Kathryn never went to school here; I went K-2nd grade.
I was trying to take pictures from the car without looking all "stalkery" so I didn't get tons of great pics. This building is where I believe we had music with Mr. Hankins. That man was really talented; I have fond memories of school musicals. You can also see part of the playground -- I think some of it may have been the same stuff that was there when I was. The school didn't look super updated. It's funny how everything feels so much bigger when you're seven.

I remember that lettering on the building.

Then we hit the house we grew up in. I lived one place before this in Oklahoma City, I think, but we were living here when Kathryn was born. We can both absolutely remember the floor plan. I was also trying to take pictures of this house without looking like a stalker.
It seemed bigger when we were kids. :)
This is not the tree I fell out of and knocked myself unconcious. We just thought it might be. It seems that tree isn't there anymore. It would have been behind this one, in the yard you see on the right. It was my friend Mary Ann's tree.
We also stopped by Joe B. Barnes Regional park and pool that we remember going to as kids, as well as my best friend growing up's house. I actually knocked on that door, hoping her folks might still live there, but no one answered.
Next stop was the house we lived in with my mom after our parents got divorced.
This house also seemed a lot bigger then. I'm pretty sure the neighborhood was at least slightly better 20 years ago, as well.
Last stop was the house my dad lived after the folks divorced:
When we were driving around this neighborhood, a police car started following us and completely freaked us out, even though we weren't doing anything wrong! It was a coincidence -- he turned a different way at some point. This neighborhood was a little more difficult to get out of (and I stink at navigating). Like I said, thank goodness for the iphone! You can call up a map of where you are and zoom in and out and scroll and you drive. It's amazing! Maybe someday I'll get one for myself. (Who am I kidding? It's more likely Joanna and Natalie will have them before us!)
No comments:
Post a Comment